Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flush valve and water pressure
Author: Capn Jack (VA)

Greetings - I'm not a plumber, but am a dealer for prefab commercial buildings. We just installed a men's restroom in NJ. It has 2 showers, mop sink, 4 water closets, 4 urinals, 6 sinks. The water inlet to our building is 1 1/4" and tapers down to 1" at some places and to 3/4" for the sinks.

The water closets have sloan flush valves (1.28 GPF) and they are not working. The GC is blaming them. Here's the rub.... the plumber who brought water to the building connected 3/4" service to our 1 1/4" line.

He says he's got 50 psi at the toilets. Don't you think it is the small supply line at the inlet that is the culprit here? Seems obvious to me, but I'm not a plumber. Help!

Thanks in advance.
Jack

Edited 1 times.

Re: Flush valve and water pressure
Author: bsipps (PA)

Sloan flushometers will operate properly between 25 and 80 psi I believe

Wow that 3/4” part was posted after I replied

I agree the 3/4” water service is way too small

Edited 1 times.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

In my opinion inch and a quarter is undersized so 3/4 definitely is. Was this system designed by an engineer? What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

Author: steve (CA)

Is the 50 psi static or dynamic pressure?

Author: packy (MA)

3/4 is way too small.

what material is the water main? remember plastic pipe has a smaller inside diameter than copper.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

WAY WAY WAY undersized.

The flushometers require 20psi UNDER FLOW CONDITIONS.

Think of it this way: 1/4" copper feeding everything - 50 psi static pressure - ? will anything actually work ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

toilets won't flush

Yes, designed by a PE

Static.

Our connection in the building is copper. Not sure what they used to connect.

Water comes out but not enough to empty the toilet? I would be talking to whoever decided a 3/4 service would be ok.

Or the medically defined @#$%& who decided to install flushometers on same.

It's a prefab building with an engineer designed system.

... Was this system designed by an engineer? ...

As you are now answering your own posed question I question the validity of your entire post.

The term 'trolling' comes to mind.

Author: Capn Jack (VA)
Yes, designed by a PE

The OP answered it. No one just decided to put flushometers in, that's how it was designed.

Edited 1 times.

sorry, i confused you with the OP

must...learn...keep...mouth...closed

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.