Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement Shower Pan Installation
Author: atrerice (MI)

Hi,

I have a few questions about a shower pan I'm installing. Had a plumber do the rough plumbing to the bathroom, and they set the shower pan as well. Their recomendation was to shim underneath the pan and use minimal expanding sprayfoam underneath. The manufacturer of the pan's recommendation is to spread adhesive on the floor and then place the pan on that though. Do you think I'll have issues with the sprayfoam and shim method? And, would I try to get the sprayfoam underneath the wood base of the pan?

The other issue I have is I dropped a large clamp on the pan and put a hole in the edge of it. I have a patch kit, but if that doesn't work, I may have to remove the pan anyway. The drain is glued to the pipe underneath, but I think there's a threaded part to it - can I get this apart from the top and put it back in from the top? The instructions for the drain seem to indicate you have to have access from both sides.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Basement Shower Pan Installation
Author: bsipps (PA)

If there is a crack or hole in the pan the manufacturer should be able to send out a rep to do the repair I would not rely on yourself as a homeowner to have the experience to patch it without it leaking ( no offense)

If it were me I would replace the shower base, the strainer may come apart without cutting any pipe if you can take the grid off and send a pic of the connection

As for setting the base it should be set in a mortar base or structolite if approved by the manufacturer for leveling purposes shim and spray foam will work but you must put weight in the pan to prevent it from rising in places it’s not secured like the apron

Author: Tom130 (IL)

I'm with bsipps 100%

bsipps - Thank you for your insight into this. I was already thinking of replacing the shower base as even if the patch kit worked, there's always a chance it would let go sometime down the road. I took the strainer cover off and got a couple pictures. It looks like that top part may be threaded into the bottom part. The bottom part I can see is glued to the pipe in the floor. Is there a special wrench I can get in there to turn that top part out?

Author: steve (CA)

I think the drain assembly has a large nut under the pan that attaches it to the pan. You would either have to cut the pipe from the inside, or cut the pan around the outside of the flange, then remove the pan and dissect the drain assembly from the pipe.

Author: packy (MA)

can you get a picture of the bottom piece ?
i think you are in luck. the top will separate from the bottom.
there is no large nut with that style drain.
it looks like this.
there is no special wrench. you jam whatever you can between the ears and twist.

[www.acehardware.com]

Packy - I just checked the link you sent. That's the brand of drain I have here, so hopefully that will work! I can't get underneath it to check the bottom end though. I'll have a chance later today to see if I can get something in there to turn that top piece out.

I haven't seen that type of drain before. Like a bathtub flange and shoe.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

NO ........ like a Mac washer on a basin.

The OP has the wrong drain for a slab ...... it will NOT unscrew from the top if it was properly tighened from the bottom.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

With that model drain assembly, the "nut" is glued to the riser and the top flange screws into the stationary nut(like a bathtub drain).

It turns out the top part was threaded into the bottom part. I was able to unscrew the top and lift the shower base right off the riser.

Now, the plan is to replace the shower base and set it in structolite to level it out.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

That work was done by a plumber?

Is anybody else here that sloppy with purple primer?

Make sure to fill the hole in near the drain with the structolite to give the pan a nice sturdy base and help prevent it from cracking under the weight of people standing in it

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.