Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 update to faucet nightmare
Author: DeanJ44 (FL)

original thread: [www.plbg.com]

So I really really really did not want to remove the old supply lines from the cut-off valves. As I originally wrote, I expected the dimensions of a new utility sink faucet to be the same as the old faucet. But just to be sure, I had them break open the box so I could measure everything - and I did - except the INTERIOR DIAMETER of the faucet tubes.

After weeks of dealing with many other disasters, I decided to take the old supply PEX lines out of the cut-off valves and hope for no leaks.

I got them off and go to the store to: 1, ask if any faucet is sold that the old ball-nose supply lines will fit into as they did perfectly on the old faucet and 2. if not, point me to the right size and type of new supply line.

Failure on both counts. I had purchased the new faucet at Lowes but today went to Home Depot. What a total disaster that place is. Not going back. No help, and finally found they did not even have a utility sink faucet. Get to the supply lines and the longest one they have is 20 inches. The old PEX line is 21 inches and anything shorter will not be long enough.

I still don't even know what type of connection I need. This is how every tiny little thing is in this nightmare of a house.

Here are 4 images of both ends of the old supply lines and a photo of the existing cut-off valve that is 21 inches below the faucet tubes:

[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: update to faucet nightmare
Author: steve (CA)

You need 3/8" compression x 1/2" FIP(SJ) x 24" supply hoses.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

or BRAND NEW 'cut to fit' PEX risers

or [th.bing.com]

3/8" chrome plated soft temper copper faucet riser

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: clanderson (NE)

I'm not a plumber, so forgive my ignorance but what does the (SJ) mean in your description and what is the difference? I understand the other descriptors.

Slip joint.

Author: packy (MA)

that style would be my last choice.

Yes, last resort. I included it because some hose descriptions describe the faucet end as " 1/2" FIP(SJ)".

Author: clanderson (NE)

Thanks

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

This IS a slipjoint connection but w/o the 'slip'.

[th.bing.com]

This connection has been designed/built into faucet shanks longer than hj has been breathing.

It does, however, require a smidgeon of skill to install.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: DaveDIY (NJ)

Some utility sinks come with faucets.
Don't use the clip joint unless you have a beader to stop the tube from popping out of the SJ nut. It was done 40 years ago with a $3 Lock-Ridge Tool to put an external bead from the inside in front of the washer and SJ nut. I can't find a tool that does it for under $200 now. You can by the bull nose connection for about $4 or flat toilet like connector for $20 or a long hose with 1/2 female connector and connector to your water stop valve.

Any inexpensive beading tool for sale? The slip cone seals, washer and SJ no longer come with the faucets. frowning

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.