Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 locating drain pipe with IR camera - where to expose drywall to receive accurate plumbing estimate?
Author: Nurit (MA)

Hi,

I would like to install laundry fixtures in my master bedroom closet, which is adjacent to my bathroom. I've now had 2 plumbers give me written quotes, set a date in advance when they would start the work, and then back out at the last minute. Clearly what ever approach I am using is not working, so I decided that since a couple plumbers declined to give an estimate b/c of uncertainty about the location of the 3" drain pipe, then this time before I obtain an estimate, I would use an infrared camera to locate the drain pipe and then have a handyman remove sufficient drywall so the plumber can give a more accurate estimate and have a clear idea of how much work will be involved, which provides more certainty for him.

An energy auditor was scheduled to come today, and I scheduled the demo with a handyman for Wednesday. Well, the auditor rescheduled at the last minute for Wednesday morning. This means I have 6 hours between 10 am EST and 4pm EST on Wednesday to figure out based on the location of the drain pipe where to have the handyman remove drywall. I'm posting in advance b/c I was wondering if there was anyone who was willing to be PMed or e-mailed Wednesday AM to take a look at the pics and offer advice before 4pm. I'm happy to compensate for any advice someone may be willing to provide based on the pics.

I'd greatly appreciate your assistance and any other advice you may have about the recurrent problem I am having.

thanks! smiling smiley

Re: locating drain pipe with IR camera - where to expose drywall to receive accurate plumbing estimate?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

make sure that a drain pan with an actual working drain is installed in said closet

exactly like a walk in shower but with a 1/2-3/3" lip

or

live to regret NOT doing so

you are looking at a MAJOR and EXPENSIVE project

if it were me: find a well recommended LICENSED BONDED INSURED (the most important is BONDED) contractor and go 'time and material' with a PLAN in advance

you will need:

drywall work

painting

carpentry incl trim

electric

plumbing

DUCTWORK (dryer exhaust PROPERLY run)

possible masonry / tile depending on dimensions of 'pan'

etc, etc, etc

Best of Luck

and

Caveat Emptor

ps. what you 'want' and what you can afford may not be compatible

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: locating drain pipe with IR camera - where to expose drywall to receive accurate plumbing estimate?
Author: packy (MA)

make a mark at 4 ft 1/2 inch off the floor.
cut the drywall at that height all the way across.
remember you'll need hot and cold pipes, duct for dryer vent, 110 V for washer and 220V for dryer

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Bern and Packy you guys are a God Send for the folks needing help. Thanks for being here.

Hi bernabeu,

thanks for your recommendations! I had been intending to have the plumber install the duct - was that an error on my part? I'm having a siding contractor drill the hole for the duct and flash the vent. I also have an electrician and carpenter. Finding a plumber is my current struggle.

Hi packy,

thanks for your advice! Can you please clarify on which wall I should be cutting the drywall at 4 1/2 feet? I suspect there are no pipes in the wall where I want the laundry fixtures installed, but rather in an adjacent wall or the ceiling wall below (the closet is above the garage). I'm trying to figure out how and how much of the drain pipe I should expose...?

Also, I don't see how to send PMs in this forum...I was hoping to be able to PM or e-mail someone the pics after the energy auditor comes by with the infrared camera...

thanks,
Nurit

the cut in the wall would be 4 feet and 1/2 inch from the floor.
if the existing piping is on an adjacent wall you should make the same cut on that wall.

you don't want any piping in the garage because of freezing.

Hi packy, thanks for your reply. The pipe in the garage would be the drain pipe. Would that be a problem?

p.s. I'm in MA too! (Cambridge)

i thought you said there was a 3 inch drain in the wall?

if you tap into that then no drains necessary below the ceiling.

if you do run the drain in the garage there is always the possibility of freezing.
P/S.. i'm up here on cape ann.

yeah, we're named after a queen. the other cape is named after a fish.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.