Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 installing a saniflo toilet in basement
Author: david56 (NY)

i am hoping to figure out how to plumb in a saniflo toilet in my basement. I live in a cape cod home with the drain exiting the house about 4 ft up. all the plumbing is in the back of the home from the toilet kitchen sink and and bathromm tub/sink. There is only one vent off of the shower drain which all of the drains except the toilet tie into. After reading the saniflo installation manuel it says it needs a dedicated vent. Can i cut into the vertical vent right above the 1.5x1.5x1.5 wye as it goes up into the attic? thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: installing a saniflo toilet in basement
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes - vent to attic then tie-in to existing is perfect

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

thank you for the quick reply. As far as the waste line goes can i tie that into a horizontal 1.5 inch kitchen drain line that has a aav under the sink? or would it have to be directly run to the main waste stack.

Author: packy (MA)

run to main waste stack.

main

y fitting

stack - point anywhere

branch or horizontal 'main' - loop into top or at LEAST (a cheat) 45 degrees

Thank you. The only problem i am having is that everything is cast iron. I will post a picture and would really appreciate any help at adding in a pvc wye or vent to cast iron. the 1.5 inch vent is cast iron off of the shower drain and the waste stack is a 4 inch main. Can i run it into the back cleanout that is not being used somehow?

easiest one yet..
on the right side you have a 4 inch trap that is vented by a 3 inch vent stack.
you'll need to clean up the inlet to the trap and possibly dig out some debris from the trap itself.
so get a 4 inch banded rubber coupling and reduce it with ever reducing bushings so the saniflow discharge empties into that trap.

BTW, the saniflow discharge doesn't need to go into a trap but in your case it is already there with a big vent so why not ??

as for the saniflo vent..
you can tie into the shower vent but you must be 6 inches above the flood rim of the shower.
other option is that you can tie into that 4 inch vent stack to the right. you'll have to make a couple of cuts into that stack so you can install a 4 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee.

packy,

? do i see pvc ALREADY tied into the house trap inlet CO ?

the OP's pic is rather fuzzy even when 'zoomed'

ps. this is a perfect app. for a saddle tapping on the 3" for the saniflow vent

pps. @ OP - reinforce the band iron supports

TIME OUT HERE !!!!!!

the stack drains left to right.

there is nothing on the right but an open house trap ???

is there something we aren't seeing ??

bernabeu and packy thanks for the help you are right. It drains left to right in the picture. the pvc tapped into the back cleanout was and old washing machine drain where the hose went and i incorporated a pvc drain from the kitchen sink and in the middle is a laundry sink pump unit drain. I left the trap. the cleanout closest to the wall is covered and i put plumbers putty around it because it didnt seal the greatest. so if i understand correctly i should use the cleanout closest to the wall as my waste discharge from the saniflo with a reducer. I think its only a 1 inch discharge and vent into the main stack ? thanks for all your help. Could i use the back cleanout and 4x4x4 wye and cap one end?

Edited 3 times.

yes you can add a full size Y.

Would it be ok to remove those 45 degrees 2inch add a wye to this instead and add in a drain on the 1.5 tee for the outlet of the saniflo ?

Edited 1 times.

remove the pvc and repipe eliminating the s trap from the old (presumably now unused) standpipe

use 3 or 4" for the vertical with y fitting for the saniflow AND a 3 or 4" CO - vent as necessary [vent can be smaller than 3"]

Edited 1 times.

i still don't see where that all drains to?

Author: Tom130 (IL)

That's a cast iron house trap, the outlet (to the right)is not visible because it's buried in the wall.

yep - there is a 'wall colored' putty like or grout material packed around the pipe where it exits into the wall

the OP has/had used the 'upstream' c/o of the running house trap as a drain for a laundry sink pump and for an
upstairs' sink !?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.