Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Supply Line PRV
Author: nikonicon (PA)

At wits end homeowner here that needs advise. TIA. My house was built in 1999 when all municipal water meters and PRVs were installed in the meter pit between the house and the street and owned by the municipality. With much development expansion and fire hydrants the supply pressure increased. My when my outside meter pit PRV failed it sent 150psi water pressure into my house (oh what fun).

The PRV is on the municipal side of the water meter (not outlet after isolation valve) and the municipality says it is now my responsibility. And even if I begrudgingly accept that, no plumber (I have called 50+) will work in the pit on the municipal side of the meter because of liability issues (unless I absorb them). Two weeks I kept my water off unless using but still no answers. I am disabled so yes water in my home is a safety issue. I did finally install a PRV inside my home (with money I don't have) to get water back on inside my house, but now I have a new PRV in line but after a failed PRV outside my home.

Questions:
1. Obviously the outside PRV failed open to full municipal supply line Pressure. However is the failed outside PRV likely just to remain open or could it possibly close at some future date and I end up back where I started? Never a good idea to leave a failed valve in the system.
2. Anyone have this issue and know how I can get the defective PRV removed, if not replaced? No one can remove it or replace it without first removing the meter, which I don't own, to get to it.

Re: Supply Line PRV
Author: packy (MA)

i would guess that there are many,many thousands of failed PRVs that the owners don't even suspect something is wrong.
don't worry about it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.