Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 ball nose line won't fit into new faucet connection
Author: DeanJ44 (FL)

I am replacing a faucet. Bought the new one. Old supply lines had a ball-nose end with coupling nut. Measured everything (except the inner diameter) at the store to make absolutely sure there wouldn't be any surprises or problems. Get under the sink expecting to slide the ball nose snugly into the new faucet just like the old one - they won't fit and won't go in no matter how much force I use. Coupling nuts fit of course because the outer diameter is the same as the old one (standard). What am I doing wrong? Surely there is a way to get these lines shoved into the new faucet?

Re: ball nose line won't fit into new faucet connection
Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, they do NOT go INTO the faucet shank but butt against it

[th.bing.com]

[images.thdstatic.com]

part (a) is called a bull end or ball end (does not go INTO the faucet shank)

part (d) is a compression joint (goes INTO the {angle}stop fitting)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

But the upper ends of each supply line WERE inside the lower end of the old faucet tubes. They were so stuffed/stuck in there, that I had to use a lot of force to pull them out. And to make sure I wasn't wrong, after 30 minutes of pulling every muscle in my arms and shoulders trying to force those same supply lines into the NEW lower ends of the tubes on the new faucet - I grabbed the old faucet and sure enough, they go all the way in to the (apparently, slightly larger inner diameter) old faucet tubes. The new faucet has what appears to be plastic inside the metal outer tube which the old faucet did not have. This is infuriating to me because I literally asked the guy at the store to break open the faucet package precisely so I could measure the damn thing at every point - other than that interior section of the tubes which I didn't think could possibly be a problem. But - just out of curiosity - I thought that I would see what would happen if I just tightened that coupling nut up against the ball-nose connection WITHOUT them being inside the tubes - result - water pouring out from that connection. That was all the proof and confirmation I needed to know that these tubes were not going to work with the supply lines I have. And that I have wasted the research, drive to the store, and preparation for installing this faucet. Just great.

[imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

Some manufactures are lining their faucets with plastic. I assuming to make no/low lead compliant and or they use aluminum water water ways (usually less expensive faucets) and line those water ways too.

Bottom line you need new stainless steel supply lines with a softer rubber cone washer that will conform to your faucet connection.

isn't plumbing wonderful......

The reason I left the existing supply lines on there is because I did not want to touch or mess around with the cut-off valves. I am terrified that they will fail is disturbed. I never expected not to be able to shove the top of the gray PEX risers into the faucet tubes. So after giving my back and shoulder a couple of days rest - I go to the Home Depot site to try and price the supply lines - and am shocked to see the crazy assortment of sizes and types of connections. I have no idea what all these abbreviations mean or which ones I need. The only thing I know is that the faucet tubes are 1/2 inch but all these other things flare, compression, fip, etc...and I can't really tell what the size of the valve end is but it appears smaller than the faucet end.

I feel like no matter what I buy it will turn out to be yet another unexpected disaster when I go to put them on. I still cannot believe the ball nose won't go in the new tubes.

The ball nose is NOT SUPPOSED to go into the valve body

repeat NOT supposed to

when you connect the supply tubes they must be SQUARE TO and precisely aligned with the faucet body

the shank nuts should make up by hand and secure the ball ends against the faucet shank PROVIDING the tubes are the proper length for the new faucet

THEN

the nuts are snugged down with a wrench

from your observations you may require an actual plumber on site

Bernabeu,

From what I see in the picture he posted he has plastic supply lines that have the molded cone shape washer molded on to the ends. In my experience these are designed to go inside the faucet shank.

OP,

You need a connector with 1/2" FIP connection on one end to connect to the faucet and 3/8" compression connection to connect to the angle stop/shut off valve.

Take your old supply line with you to the parts house and they should be able to match it up to a new one.

Link to supply line from our sponsor -

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Good luck.

the cone shape may go (partway) into the faucet shank but NOT the flange

the Franklin Nut (yes, i am that old) compresses the flange/assembly for a seal

Edited 1 times.

Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising.

point taken

thank you

'snide' comment deleted

smiling smiley

Author: DaveDIY (NJ)

Some of the newer faucets have not to use solid copper or PEX risers. They need the flex braided lines that more of a flat rubber washer than the cone used for copper and PEX.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.