Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Reducing couplings?
Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

A Massachusetts plumber said it was illegal to use reducing couplings on DWV to go from smaller to bigger pipe and it called telescoping and the reducing fitting must be used and not the reducing coupling. Is this true?

Re: Reducing couplings?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

????? packy ?????

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

MA plumbers seem to have to follow a lot of "ridiculous: rules, so it is possible.

Author: packy (MA)

when you run an 1 1/2 vent up into an attic and increase it to 2 inch because that is the minimum size allowed thru a roof, hoew you supposed to do it ??

Author: steve (CA)

What's the difference between a "reducing coupling" and a "reducing fitting"? A coupling is a fitting.

... just a guess ...

the code may be trying to ban bushings

? poorly worded perhaps ?

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Around 6:45 in the video he says this fitting is illegal. He said in the comments it has to do with snaking a drain and the code was written before flex shaft was around. [www.youtube.com]

...... aaaah

i see now

one may only change a drain pipe size at a t or y fitting, not by using a reducing coupling (? or el ?)

Author: hj (AZ)

The whole issue is inane and ridiculous. There is NEVER a problem with a snake going into a LARGER pipe, whether it is a bushing, reducer coupling, or fitting. Maybe they should NOT listen to a "ride along" female, who may be trying to upsell the job.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

To be fair to the lady in the video, it was the plumber on the job who said the reducer fitting is not to code, not her.

There is a general principle in the piping 'industry' to ban unnecessary ADDITIONAL fittings.

There 'should' be no use in a properly designed and 'laid out' system for a reducing coupling where a different reducing fitting could be ussed.

eg. 1x1x1/2 tee is preferable to a 1x1x1 tee + a nipple + a 1x1/2 coupling

a single fitting is ALWAYS preferable to a triple 'christmas tree'

as far as the actual code ? remember the code is the MINIMUM standard !

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

as per my example..
if you have a washing machine set up all alone on one end of the building and the vent for that washer drain is 1 1/2 inch. you run that vent up to an attic space so you can penetrate the roof.
my code says minimum size vent thru roof is 2 inch.
or, if you run a full size 3 inch vent up into an attic and you want to increase it to 4 inch because of possible frost.. how ya gonna do that?
in fact, my code says something about if you do increase the vent you have to do it at least 12 inches below the roof.

there are long pattern fittings (or there used to be) precisely for that purpose

or, since a roof vent 'up north' should/shall/must be 4" for frost protection

perhaps a standard reducing coupling is acceptable for that purpose

[th.bing.com]

tongue sticking out smiley

Author: sum (FL)

I agree that less fittings and less joints is more desirable - less chance of a leak.

However I don't quite understand why they would prohibit if another configuration is equally effective even if it's one more joint. For example, I want to use a 2" santee but the vent just 1-1/2", is it better to have a 2X1-1/2X2 santee sure, but if all I have is a 2X2X2 I don't think it's that awful to use a 2X1-1/2 bushing on the top even if it's an extra fitting. I keep thinking there is another reason for the "illegal fitting" and not just that reducing coupling is an extra fitting. If only a size change is permitted at a Y or T then they wouldn't even allow a 4X3 closet elbow? Because it is a size change and there is no Y and no T.

'smooth integral bore' may be the concept

as for the WC - a 4x4 or a 4x3 = one fitting either way

sum: it is seldom good practice to 'use what's on the truck' instead of a better/simpler install

Author: sum (FL)

There is no question that less fitting is better. But as you said code is typically minimum standard not best practice.

So the fundamental question is, IF this is indeed code in MA, what does the code actually said and why?

I just have a real hard time believing that reducing the number of fitting is the context here. After all, most repair jobs involve adding couplings here and there.

The "size change only at the Y and T fittings" is from your post #8, again was a guess on what's actually prohibited.

The video said having that particular fitting there is "telescoping and is a violation in MA". I have heard of the term telescoping and usually it's in the context of going from a larger pipe to a smaller pipe which is a no no anyway except in the case of a 4x3 closet elbow.

It's still unclear to me what is actually the violation I think we are all just guessing.

yep

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

In the replies to the video, the plumber explains that, because rooter cables were not as flexible then (when reducing couplings were prohibited in instances like the one in the video) as they are now, an abrupt change in diameter makes it difficult for the cable to get to debris near the abrupt change in dia.

Author: bsipps (PA)

What’s the difference whether it reduces from an actual reducing wye or tee versus a reducing coupling in the same vertical direction in a space 2” vertical distance?

"..... smooth integral bore ....."

Author: bsipps (PA)

All pvc fittings are designed with a smooth inner bore transitions

tongue sticking out smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.