Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Second Floor Bathroom DWV Remodel
Author: PBFR270 (GA)

Just found this great site. (I had spent many hours in the past researching requirements for a new bathroom addition.)

I'm now doing a remodel to an existing bathroom/closet area and was hoping to get some advice on the design.

The attached drawing shows the general layout of the new area.
The red mark is the current location of the 3" drain that carries down to the crawl space.
The blue mark is the location of an 1-1/2" vent through the roof.

The shower will be a standard size 32"x60", the vanity is a single sink, the toilet is staying in its existing location.

TIA for any help!

Should I have added this updated info to the original post as an edit?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Second Floor Bathroom DWV Remodel
Author: bernabeu (SC)

good - wish it were mine

one thought - tp holder on 'free standing' stand until you find the EXACT spot for it

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

All drawings look good, UNTIL, you actually try to put the piping in.

Author: steve (CA)

Can you provide a drawing of the existing drain and vent routing? You stated the toilet is existing, is the sink existing and you're just adding the shower? Is there attic space above the ceiling, to combine vents, if necessary? vents,

Thanks for the reply.
I now realize I left a lot of important info out...

I only have the flooring in the old closet area pulled up right now (trying to keep this bathroom operational for a while longer) so it's hard to see the current fittings.

Basically the shower is being relocated to the opposite side of the existing 3" waste line and the sink is being relocated closer to the existing waste. I plan on replacing all the DWV lines once the bathroom is decommissioned and the floor is up.

I don't have it shown on the drawing but I also planned on building the wall out behind the new vanity to allow some additional space for plumbing and vent(s). This will also aid in running the necessary vent(s) through the attic space to the existing roof vent.

I've done some more research and still have questions on the proper fitting(s) to tie the shower into the existing 3" waste line.

The floor joists run parallel to the existing 3" line and the opening width is what's shown in the picture.
The existing bathroom is to the left of the photo and the new shower would be to the right of the 3" waste going down to the crawlspace.

Should I have added this info to the original post as an edit?

Now you need a blueprint/plan/sketch, a licensed bonded insured plumber, AND a building permit.

Edited 1 times.

Per the forum header:

"Welcome to Plbg.com the PlumbingForum.com. We are the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, educational, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues."

I'm not sure why you continue to respond with useless opinions instead of positive input frowning

FYI, I'm a retired IBEW and IAFF Union member and have no problem providing assistance to others.
Clearly you feel differently.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

I would replace the 3" elbow with a 3x2 side inlet elbow. Drain the shower into the side branch and install a vent in the horizontal shower drain pipe in the new wall between the shower and vanity. A 3x2 combo tee installed with the branch raised about 45*, in the horizontal 3", so the 2" goes into the new wall behind the vanity. With the sink draining into the 2", it's vent(1 1/2" or 2" depending on local code for venting the toilet) will extend up in the new wall and out the roof.

"Drain the shower into the side branch and install a vent in the horizontal shower drain pipe in the new wall between the shower and vanity."

That's a lot cleaner than my plan of trying to incorporate the shower vent into the 3" drain down to the crawlspace, (and I'm the one that drew the wall there. smiling smiley )

"... will extend up in the new wall and out the roof."

Can both vents connect to the existing single roof penetration?

yes - connect in 'attic'

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.