Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 LG Tower W/D Install with Side Vent Option Advice
Author: cocoanlace (CA)

I wish to buy an LG stackable washer/dryer (gas) to be installed in my small condo laundry closet. Side venting will allow it fit. (By side venting, I refer to knocking out the dryer's left side circular panel and using a purchased "Side Venting Kit".) Should I be hiring a plumber, a handyman or an experienced installer? Not sure where to start this project. (I have been informed that the big box installation teams only do Plug & Play.) Thanks.

Re: LG Tower W/D Install with Side Vent Option Advice
Author: hj (AZ)

I do not know where you will run the vent to, So cannot tell you if you need a handyman or a sheet metal person. It depends on whether you can connect it to an existing opening or have to make a connection to the outside of the building

The existing round metal thingy, built into the to the wall, vents to the outside of the building. (It either travels down or up inside the wall to get to beyond a bedroom.) The previous Maytag dryer vent hose attached there. It is on the left side of the laundry closet in back.

Author: packy (MA)

since it is a gas appliance, you will need to hire a licensed gas fitter.

Author: steve (CA)

"Licensed gas fitter" not required in California. The State does have the 'Bureau of Household Goods and Services' that licenses 'Electronics Appliance Repair' companies. The conversion kit is pretty straight forward and can be installed by a homeowner that knows how to disassemble the dryer.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

You are dealing with a gas 'fired' appliance.

You had best get a LICENSED - INSURED - BONDED 'contractor' who KNOWS how to install PROPERLY.

Modifying the dryer to 'side outlet' is probably doable by a 'mechanically inclined DIYer,

BUT,

said modified dryer 'probably' will NOT attach to an existing BUILT IN THE WALL vent designed for a rear outlet dryer.

Any modification to the built in the wall venting will require BOTH a building permit AND permission of the condo's BOD or ACC.

? Why, if provisions ALREADY exist for a rear outlet dryer, would one want to change said 'set-up' ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for the solid information. I wanted to alter the method of installation so an LG Tower would fit inside my very cramped condo laundry closet. It has a 33 1/3-inch-deep metal floor pan, so I wanted to buy a unit that would fit within that like my Maytag did. (The closet dimensions are larger than the pan.) One issue, besides the 4" semi-rigid dryer hose, is the extra set of shutoff valves and gas hookup on the back wall, eating up precious real estate. Could not find a stackable that a big box was willing to consider installing using a side vent. They prefer quick, Plug and Play installs. But they said the special venting kit is purchased all the time, but not sold by them.
So, I purchased a GE Unitized Spacemaker GAS stackable (the 24"W one). It fit with room to spare. The first unit died on day 6 and was switched out with another new one. The second GE died after 13 days. Both had identical issues: Stopped working during different phases of the wash cycle, sometimes leaving water, sometimes spinning but leaving soapy clothes. The alarming part was the electrical burning smell. The second unit was uninstalled 2 days ago. Lowe's warehouse was surprisingly accommodating and gave me a full refund. I ordered the LG Tower I really wanted today. Used a small, family-owned biz who is willing to install this large unit, even if it means removing the louvered doors permanently. (I am o.k. with that.) Oh, and they are NOT altering the current "set up."

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

steve.. you can actually replace a gas appliance in CA without a permit?
also, any changing from rear vent to side vent usually just involved a 4 inch aluminum 90 and removing a knock-out.

Author: steve (CA)

Stoves and clothes dryers can be replaced without a permit. Water heater and furnace would need a permit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.