Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can I use flanged tubing with slip joints?
Author: italnsd (CA)

This question is about the connection of polypropylene tubing with slip joints as done in a kitchen under sink plumbing.
Is it a general rule that I can always make a slip joint connection using either

a) non-flanged tubing and a beveled gasket that gets compressed by the slip nut
or
b) flanged tubing with top-hat gasket placed on its inside that does not get compressed by the slip nut?

Or is the second case is for some reasons not general but can only be used for the tailpiece?
If both are possible, which one is the preferred way?
Every clarification is welcome, thanks.

Re: Can I use flanged tubing with slip joints?
Author: steve (CA)

A joint with a flanged tube is not a "slip joint". I've never seen a flanged tube used anywhere but against a sink strainer. Do you wish to use a flanged tube elsewhere?

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I am not an expert by any means, and was just looking for a tubing extension when I came across this product, called a Double Flanged Tailpiece Extension Tube, that totally puzzled me
[www.homedepot.com]
Obviously one cannot connect both flanged extremities to a sink strainer, so I was just wondering how it can be used. I assumed that to extend anything, that tube would need to be combined with some sort of joint, analogously to how the flanged tailpiece is joined at the sink strainer connection. As I said, a dummy novice here wink

Author: bsipps (PA)

A double end flanged tailpiece can be used for 2 sink strainer connections cut one end to length and move onto the next one

Author: packy (MA)

there is also some type of slip joint connection between sections of a slip p-trap.
it is sort of a combination of the two mentioned above

Author: hj (AZ)

How would you put a slip nut on that tubing, actually TWO slip nuts. I is just a convenient way to make tow tailpieces.

They also make long brass tailpieces, that are threaded on both ends. You cut it to length and might have enough left over to use for another installation.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

hj,

IT is just ........................

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Steve I have used flanged tail pieces on garbage disposals.

Edited 2 times.

A picture is good, but have you ever tried actually buying one?

EVERYONE who has been a plumber for more than a few months has used a flanged tailpiece on a disposer.

Nope. Never seen them used.

1-1/2" 'split tubular nuts' are apparently 'often' used in the swimming pool industry

just a quickie search:

[www.walmart.com]

[www.walmart.com]

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Years ago I made my own flanged tail piece by inserting the brass tube through a 1 1/2" Gal. Nipple with 3/16"
sticking out of the nipple. Take a ball pin hammer (round end) and roll the edge of the tubing over the end of the
pipe and flatten it out with the flat end of the ball pin.
It works really well. But when plastic tubing came out we stopped using brass.

Re: Can I use flanged tubing with slip joints? clap

Thanks everyone for all the info. I should have guessed it was made to be split to use the two ends separately. Otherwise, there would be not much use for a part of fixed length.
I feel the Extension part of its name is a misnomer though, as it is used as the tailpiece and not as an extension of it.

Edited 2 times.

I have a tool thaat I insert into a piece of 1 1/2" brass tubing,clamp it in vise, and then rotate it while advancing a flat piece against the end to flatten it into a flange.

could you please post a photo of that tool? TIA

HJ can you please post a photo of that tool? Thanks much

[www.youtube.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.