Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Belly under railroad tracks
Author: techfixers (MN)

I have a small business where I repair electronics. I recently moved to an old railroad depot that I purchased about a year ago. I recently had a sewer backup. I had the pipe jetted and they put the camera down there and told me that there was a belly under the pipe where the pipe runs under the railroad tracks. It is not however blocked(at the moment).

Tearing up the tracks and the street is likely going to be a terribly complicated and costly procedure(if it would even be possible) The railroad tracks are active and I am sure the railroad would not want any interruption to their operations. I do not own the land the railroad tracks are on. I am asking a construction/real estate attorney what my rights would be and whether there would be any shared responsibility for the pipe from the railroad/city. Even so the railroads have a reputation for being lets say, less than easy to work with.

I am considering getting a sewage system like the liberty pro 380. It is a 4" or 5" id cast iron pipe in the basement. that is about 18" off the ground. There is occasional use of 2 bathrooms with toilets and sinks.
- Is this a solution worth exploring? How much is this likely to help?
- does this need to be installed level with the concrete or could I just put it on the basement floor.
- Will it stink?
- Any other questions I should be asking?

Re: Belly under railroad tracks
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you 'may' only need the line cleared annually as a 'pm'

try that FIRST

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

i agree...
especially since "There is occasional use of 2 bathrooms with toilets and sinks."..

wait untill the summer of 2024 and have a camera inspection. you'll know alot more by then.

Author: Don411 (IN)

If you have "water-saver" toilets, hold the handle when you flush #2 and use a full tank of water on those flushes. The low-flow toilet uses just enough water to clear the bowl but sometimes the solids don't get far enough and accumulate in that low point of the pipe. The extra water helps the solids get past the dip and lessens the likelihood that they will "pile up" in the low spot and forma clog. Running some water in the sink after a flush helps too. Lastly, bi mindful of what gets flushed, e.g., no wipes, sanitary items, paper towels, etc.

You got good advice from the senior plumbers here on the forum, the "wait and see" approach is the right path here. Even if you had to pay to have the pipe jetted quarterly it would be cheaper than fixing it.

I have owned the building for about a year and this is the first time it has backed up. Supposing the condition of the pipe was the same as it is now that may be the case. Currently I am going to have a "no tp in the bowl gringo" kinda rule, at least for us. Also I am going to run the sink when using the toilet.

They are fairly normal toilets. I plan to run the sink as well. I think it does make sense to wait and see when it needs to be cleared next.

Author: packy (MA)

since you don't know when the pipe was previously cleaned, i would say you are safe to assume that with your careful use, it will be a long time between cleanings.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.