Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Faucet Mounting Nuts with Machine Screws.
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

When I install them, I do not tighten the nut all the way, I stop a thread short and then tighten the machine screws firmly with a screwdriver.

However, in this Grohe video, the instructor advises tightening the nut fully with a basin wrench and then tightening the machine screws. The video is halfway down the page
[www.grohe.ca]

Why do I not do it this way? My way the nut can be easily removed in the future. With the nut fully tightened, it can become difficult to remove especially if water has been leaking on to it.

Re: Faucet Mounting Nuts with Machine Screws.
Author: packy (MA)

i'm with you, george.

anytime i have had to remove a faucet with those machine screws, it has been so easy..

Author: Don411 (IN)

That's the whole point of the machine screws, so you don't have to use a basin wrench at all. I tighten the nut finger tight then use the screws to snug up. Much easier to use a screwdriver up there than fumble with a basin wrench.

Author: Curly (CA)

I do as you 3 do.....snug it up and then tighten up the screws.

Lot easier than a basin wrench. Especially on some of these big old mounting nuts faucets come with these days. I miss the days of the Moen 7300 with 2 small jam nuts or the Delta 100WF and you could use 9/16"(?) nut driver......

I went to Grohe's website and looked at the installation instructions for the Concetto model and they don't show the mounting nut with machine screws anymore.....

Now it is a large plastic nut like the one shown in this video -

[www.youtube.com]

Would be nice if Grohe's video actually matched their installation instructions....

I just installed a Concetto and it had the plastic mounting nut. It does have a 36mm hex on it like the KWC and I was able to firmly tighten the Grohe nut with the KWC tool. The tool I use is a 36mm crowfoot wrench

i don't get it ?? at about 30 seconds in, it shows sliding the large plastic nut (which has internal threads) up over the brass shank. then it shows hand tightening the nut.
how does the nut slide over the shank?

Author: bsipps (PA)

I’ve seen that style nut on the glacier bay faucets from the big box stores (customer provided faucet) and it’s not that easy to install, you have to push up till you nearly make an accident in your pants while turning clockwise… not a fan

Author: Curly (CA)

Bsipps - 2 of comments below the video echo your same thoughts on hard it is to tighten the nut.

I can hardly wait for my turn.....

looks like you need two people ???

Author: bsipps (PA)

Yep 2 people is better than damaging the flex line when pulling down on them for resistance

Having just installed a Grohe faucet, I can assure you it is not that hard to push that nut up the shank of the faucet. The nut is actually in two pieces, the lower half can be unthreaded a quarter turn and that lets the plastic thread, which is in four sections, expand outwards. I had no difficulty at all. It was hard to tighten it fully by hand but my 36mm crowfoot wrench took care of that. Even a basin wrench can be used on the plastic nut if you do not have the 36mm wrench.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the instructions read:

" The nut is actually in two pieces, the lower half can be unthreaded a quarter turn and that lets the plastic thread, which is in four sections, expand outwards.:

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

expandable plastic threads as opposed to a brass nut with stainless steel machine screws ??

which would you rather have in your home?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

for pressurized water piping the choice is obvious

for the actual MOUNTING of the fixture .... whatever works

HOWEVER

we must never, ever, stop improving

else QUALITY FIXTURES designed for 90year service lifes

gasp .... gaaah ..... choke

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.