Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Waxless wax rings
Author: sum (FL)

I am going to replace a toilet this weekend.

I see that the big box stores are now stocked with many varieties of waxless wax rings, made by Korky, Fluidmaster, Danco etc...and there are actually more waxless rings for sale than the traditional wax rings.

Any thoughts from the pros have you used any of these? Are they better, worse, about the same? Stick with the tried and true wax or these are new shiny better products?

Re: Waxless wax rings
Author: packy (MA)

back in the old days, a case (48) of wax rings cost 16.00
been using them ever since.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I normally use wax but when I come across a toilet flange that is not secured properly to the floor, and they is no easy way to secure it because the subfloor is missing under the flange, I will use a foam rubber gasket or one of the waxless ones. The rubber will expand and contract with any up and down movement of the flange and still maintain the seal.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Yea there is no need to spend extra money if you don’t have to but I can’t wait to pull a toilet and not have to use my butter knife

Author: packy (MA)

just don't use the same butter knife to cut your sandwich at lunch time.

Author: sum (FL)

I thought it is standard operating procedure to use the same knife to clean old wax from the horn and to peel as an apple for lunch?

Author: NoHub (MA)

It adds flavor to your butter knife.

Author: Curly (CA)

The wax actually makes it easier to slice the apple.....

I tried a couple of the green waxless seals by Sani Seal and had the occasion to have to pull the toilet about a year after using it. I found that the outer layer had delaminated and seal was water logged acting just like a sponge.

I have found this same thing on other toilets where the Sani Seal was installed by other people. Many online reviews show this same problem.

On certain installs I have used the Korky brand with better success. I only use them on the first floor....

Author: m & m (MD)

The fellow I apprenticed under would scrape the wax off a toilet flange with his pocket knife at 11:30 and peel his apple with the same knife at 12:20. I watched it many times with a much weaker stomach back then!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.