Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shopping for a closet flange.
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

The Charlotte Pipe catalogue has: closet flange; closet flange with stop; Closet Flange, Adjustable with Plastic Ring; Closet Flange, Adjustable with Metal Ring; Flush closet flange; Flush closet flange with knockout; offset closet flanges.
Is a stop a little bit of a ring inside the pipe that blocks further insertion? What's adjustable about the adjustables? What's the function of making them flush? What good is a knockout in a flange? Testing the installation with the pipe blocked first? Why sell offset flanges if code forbids them?

They're all either 4x4 or 4x3. I have a toilet with a 3" outlet and 3" drain pipes. Wouldn't I need a 3x3?

Re: Shopping for a closet flange.
Author: packy (MA)

the ring and opening are 4 inch.
the flange has a reduced outlet to fit 3 inch pipe. (called 4x3)
adjustable means the ring rotates so you can glue it onto a pipe oriented any way you want and adjust the flange so the bolt holes are where you want them.
the cover over the inlet allows you to glue the flange in place and perform a 5 PSI pressure test if the inspector requires. it is also might handy to keep debris out of the drain even if you don't test nor glue.
lastly the flat bottom allows you to set the flange right down onto the floor without having to make a tapered hole around the pipe.

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

Thanks. How does my rear-discharge WC factor into my choice? The plumbing is in front of the stud wall, so I'll have to build a wall around the plumbing after I'm done.

Author: packy (MA)

do all your rough plumbing first.
leave the stubout for the toilet flange unglued.
make sure you put some backing to screw the flange to.
then put up the wall board.
do some careful measuring and according to which type flange you use, install and secure the flange and stub.
i find it easier to glue the stub to the flange first.
then reach into the hole, put primer and glue and seat the pipe into the fitting. rotate it a bit to distribute the glue.
now the adjustable flange comes into play. it doesn't matter how the flange is rotated because you can spin the flange the way you want it. secure it to the backing you have and you are good to go.
obviously if you are going to tile behind the toilet, you do that before the flange goes on.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.