Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 TOTO toilet changed design - good or bad?
Author: sum (FL)

I have installed two Toto Drake in 2006 and 2008 and they rarely clog. Great toilets.

I am now looking to replace a toilet and was about to get another Toto Drake, except when I looked reviews seems to be very mixed, which is surprising. I then drilled into the reviews and many of them are saying the "new" Toto toilets clog very easily due to a design change. That there is some swirl flush design change that is geared more towards cleaning the bowl wall but no longer provide a powerful flush. The recommended toilet that seems to be mentioned more often is the Gerber Avalanche because it has the original Toto design that Toto abandoned.

What do the pros think? Looking for a simple white two piece good flushing toilet. Is Toto still the GO TO?

Re: TOTO toilet changed design - good or bad?
Author: bsipps (PA)

If the new design means more washing the bowl meaning less powerful jet action I could see that being reason for more clogs
I like the gerber viper

It's called "Tornado Flush" that has a single outlet underneath the rim of the bowl to do a power wash of the wall, instead of a series of small rim holes.

It's supposed to be more powerful but reviews are mixed, and I know there are lots of @#$%& writing reviews, but what's concerning are those who said they loved the old Drake and this "updated and better" version is inferior to the old design.

I am looking at Gerber.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

rim water reaches the trapway slightly 'later' = cleaner bowl, weaker flush

which design is 'better' would depend on the particular 'stool' type

the old 'form versus function' issue

? does one prefer pretty, good 'clean' looks or a 'whoosh' which takes the doo-doo away ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

"Updated and better" usually means CHEAPER to rpoduce.

What toilet would the pros recommend today?

Perhaps the question I need to be asking is what is a good flushing basic two piece toilet with a 12" rough in?

I want two piece toilets only because I don't like to transport and install one piece toilets that are so much heavier and bulkier. I would rather do the tank separately.

I also don't like the Kohler toilets with the canister flush valves. I have purchased two for rentals, and there is a design defect on the hose that runs from the fill valve to the top inlet of the flush valve. First it was the hose inserted into the female inlet, that seems to come loose all the time. Then they sent me a new canister where the inlet on the canister is now a smaller male inlet, where the hose will be pushed over that inlet, and that, too comes loose after some time. Nothing like tenants calling me to tell me the bathroom floor is wet because the hose inside the tank has come loose and spraying water inside the tank up to the underside of the tank lid, then water drifts towards the edge of the lid, down the sides of the tank onto the floor.

I don't need something fancy with a skirted bowl or any bidet attachments.

This used to be the Toto Drake 2pc model. What would the pros recommend today?

Edited 1 times.

Re: What toilet would the pros recommend today?
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

All the Toto Tornado flushes I have come across have been DOUBLE TORNADO flushes where they have two outlets under the rim. Having never owned one I don't have much of an opinion on them

I have many customers with the Toto double tornadoes and they do not call me for plugged toilets any more than the others do, so the double tornado can't be too bad.

Re: What toilet would the pros recommend today?
Author: hi (TX)

I used to use Toto Drake which have a powerful flush. They have problems with "Washdown" and skid marks. I have tried one of the new Toto with the cyclone flush and they are even worse IMHO.

I might suggest a two piece from Lowes. I was surprised with flush ever bit as strong as toto and better washdown. One problem is that they are a little loud.

Author: Terrill (WA)

I'm still selling lot's of the TOTO Drake models. The most recent is the CST776CEFG elongated and the CST775CEFG round.

They did come out with an interim one that was the CST746 which I don't sell, and yes, they changed the trapway on that one. It also had the single outlet for rinse. If you're reading a bad review, it's the CST746, not the most recent.

The new CST776 though went back to the old trapway design and works great. They also now have the good bowl glaze and a rinse from "two" outlets. It's basically the CST454CEFG that sold for more but they now have those good features for less money. If you liked the 2008 Drake, then you will love this one. Same performance we all liked, better rinse and better glaze. It's just friggin' better.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.