Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Status of Water Heater when electric shut off
Author: goodoldjohn (PA)

Because of a water leak from above the basement, with water dripping near wiring in the basement, I decided to shut off the circuit breaker for all wiring feeding near my water heater until the plumber shows up (hopefully tomorrow). My question is about the water heater, though. I do not see any electrical wiring going to the water heater. I never noticed this before, but now I'm wondering: How can this be? Is there no electricity required for my water heater? I'm totally mystified. (A.O.Smith Model FCGL-40)

Re: Status of Water Heater when electric shut off
Author: packy (MA)

when i look up that number (A.O.Smith Model FCGL-40) i come up with a gas water heater.
no electric needed unles it has a power vent.

Yes Packy. It is a gas water heater. I guess I just don't understand how it works, with respect to triggering it's thermocouple (or whatever). But, I'm interpreting your answer to tell me I don't need to worry about my next hot shower. GOD! I hope that's right!

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

The thermocouple generates enough current to hold the gas valve open. No external power needed.

Author: steve (CA)

The thermocouple generates electricity when the pilot flame heats it up. This small amount of voltage/current is all that's needed to operate the gas thermostat valve.

Thanks, George, for your response. I'm somewhat less mystified, now. Also, much relieved.

Re: Status of Water Heater when electric shut off clap

Thank you, Steve, for your explanation. I'm feeling much better about the situation, knowing this, now. Good to know I won't be showerless, and all stinky tomorrow!

Edited 1 times.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

An interesting tidbit. Thermocouples generate low voltage (30mv) and current (700ma short circuit). This is not enough to pull open the main gas valve, which is why the valve has to be manually opened by depressing the red button.It takes less current to hold the valve open than to open it from closed position.

Author: packy (MA)

thats like me getting up in the morning.
lots of effort but once im up (and had coffee) im OK.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.