Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Turning main water supply off and back on
Author: alanatch123 (VA)

I’ve read many posts that recommend turning off the main water supply valve before leaving for vacation. Are the two methods below both acceptable and safe? Also, what’s the procedure for turning the water back on? Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

1. Turn the main water shutoff valve off (in basement) and open all faucets starting on the top floor working down. Flush toilets. Open outside hose bibs. Basically drain all water from the pipes.

2. Turn the main water shutoff valve off (in basement) and keep one faucet open, like the lower bathroom or kitchen faucet. Keep the system pressurized. I don’t need to drain all the water from the pipes. I can leave one faucet on to release pressure.

Re: Turning main water supply off and back on
Author: bernabeu (SC)

If you are concerned about freezing: close main valve and open all faucets including hose spigots, ie. drain system as dry as possible AND turn off heater.

If you are concerned about possible leak/flood there are TWO scenarios:

You have an expansion/compression tank at water heater: Simply shut main valve.

or

You do NOT have an expansion/compression tank at water heater : Shut main valve AND open ONE faucet to relieve pressure AND turn off heater.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

More concerned about leaks/flooding. I ordered an automatic shutoff valve which is on back order. I have an expansion tank at the water heater. Any harm opening one faucet as well?

Author: packy (MA)

if you are not concerned about freezing then it doesn't matter how many faucets you open.

Any harm opening one faucet as well?

NO

f/y/i: i live near myrtle beach, sc ~ when i leave for over 48 hours: shut main, turn off electric water heater ~ done

Thanks for the info! I like Myrtle Beach, I’ve been there a couple of times.

So, after I return I simply turn the main water supply back on? Do I need to open and bleed faucets etc. for any air that may have entered the pipes?

open any hw faucet to bleed any air/gas from the hw tank before restoring power to tank

anywhere else you may have an occasional harmless 'sputter'

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Hello Bernabéu I have been retired since 1999 and not been active in the trade. Where do you suggest getting Pressure Reducing Valves for the main water into my San Diego Home like Wilkens 3/4 or 1"? TIA for your help

EB 45 = convental consumer grade 'watts type'

EB 25 = 'back seated' commercial grade with 'cartridge serviceability'

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

take into account:

Q. "What does 'DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE P1 - P2 (psi)' mean?"
A. P1 is the unregulated inlet pressure and P2 is the regulated outlet pressure. The differential between these two numbers will indicate which column to use to determine which valve will work best at the gallon per minute flow rate you wish to use.

for EB 25:

Re: Turning main water supply off and back on thumbs
Author: Lorensr (CA)

Thanks Bern. You are the best!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.