Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Leak Related to a Bathtub Faucet and most likely from the pipe leading up to the shower head
Author: campbhl (AL)

I was having trouble related to a very slow draining bathtub. I plunged the bathtub, and the water began to flow, not perfectly, but considerably better. I know that either I did something really good, or I might have damaged a possible drum trap, considering the house was probably built in the 1950's. First, can anyone think of some of the possible damaged spots, from the plunging? It's entirely possible that there is no damage from the plunging.

Then, I accidentally made things considerably worse. I decided to run both bathtub faucets at full power, to test the speed of the water drainage and to allow the water pressure to help clear any remaining blockage. While I was at it, I decided to switch over to the shower and see how well the water would drain with the shower at full power. Upon pulling the switch, on the front of the tub faucet, water began to burst from both the tub faucet connection and spray out from behind the tub faucet connection, to the wall. When I cut the water off, the water seemed to stop leaking; however, I am concerned that there might be hidden leakage occuring from the main pipe and not just the pipe that leads to the shower head and the bathtub faucet connection. I am thinking that I am going to wait and call a pro plumber, first thing tomorrow morning.

Luckily, previous plumbing work has left the work area, behind the wall, easily accessible. At least I hope accessible enough to get the plumbing repaired. I am not so concerned if any possible drum trap is damaged, because that thing, if present, needs to be replaced, if possible, with a p-trap. I am also not concerned with replacing the bathtub faucet and shower head, as both of those are also old and in need of replacement. I wish I didn't have to have the shower pipe replaced but things happen. The answer is no, I haven't yet looked at the plumbing, behind the shower.

I am open to suggestions and thank you in advance=)

Re: Water Leak Related to a Bathtub Faucet and most likely from the pipe leading up to the shower head
Author: packy (MA)

you need to figure out how to remove the tub spout so you can address the leak coming from behind it.
it either screws onto a male threaded connection or slips over a tubing and is secured with a set screw.
get us a picture if you can't figure it out.

Thank you for your help=) clap
Author: campbhl (AL)

Hey packy:

Thank you so much for your suggestion=) You hit the nail on the head=) The whole problem turned out to be a combination of old plastic pieces, inside the faucet, combined with high water pressure, when I turned up both faucet handles and pulled the switch to send water to the shower. When the faucet was replaced, the problem was fixed.

There was no damage anywhere else. The plunging cleared a lot of the block, in the drain, and it didn't do any damage. Though, I am not encouraging anyone else to plunge their pipes, as there can be risk in plunging.

Thank you for your help=)

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.