Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weight of steel tubs
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I priced 3 steel tubs, all 60×30×14 with no special features.
One weighed 67 pounds, the second 110, the third 161, (Bootz Aloha, American Standard Princeton, American Standard Cambridge).

Are they thicker all around, or just on the bottom?

Do heavy people need thicker tubs?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Weight of steel tubs
Author: packy (MA)

of the three listed, the americast is the only one i would consider.

[www.americanstandard-us.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

packy,

good info

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Why? The Cambridge is the Americast. What contributes to its 161 pounds as compared to the Princeton's 110?

Edited 1 times.

i honestly don't know the reason for the price difference

WEIGHT difference

? perhaps the heaviest is the americast ?

they are both americast ??

i thought one was 60 x 30 x 14 and the other was 60 x 32 x 16..
but the specs show them both the same size.

both ARE americast

Cambridge = 60x32x17-3/4 = soaking tub

Princeton = 60x30x14 = std tub

You're right! I apologize. I misread the soaking depth of the Cambridge (14"winking smiley for its height, had counted on BigHomeStore's filtering software to return 30" tubs, and its filter on Americast to return all Americast tubs. It seems that all American Standard's porcelain steel tubs are Americast.

Twice the price is a lot. How does the thinner Bootz fail when the thicker Americast holds up? I take a bath once or twice a year, but I like having one and have nothing else to do with extra space in the bathroom.

Author: hj (AZ)

The actual "tub" prObably weighs about the same in all of them The "substructure" and bracing will make the difference.

arthur,

both tubs have depth 'ranges' available

the cambridge is wider and has a deeper 'range'

imo, if, like me, you seldom soak then, when you do, deeper is way way better - you will never regret getting the best you can afford

whichever width you choose i recommend the max depth available from the mfgr - even if it means a 'custom order' (ie. not in stock)

ps. ! one year warranty (Bootz) versus TEN year warranty (americast) !

pps.

Are they thicker all around, or just on the bottom?

Do heavy people need thicker tubs?

YES, thicker all around

theoretically no, in practice yes

Edited 2 times.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Deeper tub also means higher step over height to enter the tub if that is a potential issue. Given whats involved in replacing a tub also agree that it pays to get the best for your budget.

Author: hj (AZ)

In my opinion, The "best for your budget" would NEVER be a steel tub, given how easy they chip and rust out around the overflow and drain openings.a

I see a lot of complaints about chipping. I won't get cast iron. I had fiberglass. If not steel or iron, what would you get?

Author: steve_g (CA)

Why not cast iron? It's the best choice, imho. Very heavy and awkward and you'll only have to do it once.

Author: hi (TX)

Cast iron Kohler all the way, it's the top of the line

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.