Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Diverter Valve on hot water inlet to shower?
Author: Hotdamn (CA)

I'm remodeling my bathroom and I want to waste some time and money on a dumb idea. I've no plumbing experience.

Diagram --> [imgur.com]

I want to install a diverter valve (pink circle on attached diagram) on the hot water inlet to a shower valve. The alternate outlet on the diverter valve will be plumbed to an outdoor spigot (top of diagram). The intention is to save the water that is wasted when you first turn the shower on, waiting for it to get hot. That is, before showering, open the diverter valve to the outdoor spigot (i.e., connecting my hot water heater to the outdoor spigot, the spigot is left open) and the first couple gallons of water is sent to the garden. Then I throw the diverter valve back to the original position (connecting hot water heater to shower valve) and open the shower valve to.. take a shower.

Questions are:

1) How dumb is this idea? Have others done this? Am I liable to break something? Or create some water-hammer nightmare, etc.?

2) Any recommendations for the type of diverter valve? It'd be used regularly (every time I shower) and would only need to be in the full-on or full-off position.

3) Instead of a manually switched diverter valve, could I use a thermostat-controlled diverter valve? That is, a valve that could automatically divert the water once it hits a certain temperature? Would the "thermostatic diverter valve" from Graff (model G-8052, link below) be an example of such a valve?

[www.graff-designs.com]

I'm grateful for any experience or thoughts you may have on this weirdness.

Edited 4 times.

Re: Diverter Valve on hot water inlet to shower?
Author: packy (MA)

i've never heard of a thermostatic diverter that stops diverting on temperature rise..
if the water you want to divert is actually going to help the garden as much as you think it is then i might divert all the water going to the shower head rather than just the hot.

a recirculating pump that is wired to a switch in that bathroom will also do what you want.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

(3) -> NO (IMO do not try any 'automatic' valve)

Your basic idea actually makes sense.

Go to an actual plumbing supply house and enquire.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

packy,

in CA (and elswhere) water usage is becoming a MAJOR MAJOR issue

waste not, want not

Author: hj (AZ)

The diverter in the shower riser makes the most sense since the diverter would not always be under system pressure.

nope

the OP probably runs the tub spout FIRST waiting for hot water THEN adjusts the temp THEN diverts to shower

i 'think' the OP is merely trying to water the 'garden' using the previously wasted water

his location on the hot BEFORE the mixing valve is perfect

HOWEVER

the actual PIPING to the exterior will be problematic as well as the matching of the 'trim'

the OP's image:

Edited 1 times.

Excellent, thanks everyone! A follow up question:

New Diagram --> [imgur.com]

I'd do this to two showers (see picture above) and ideally the each shower could share a line to the outdoor spigot (they would Tee together). Does this added complication raise any immediate red flags? Should I add a one way valve (blue triangle in picture) to each line as a precaution or anything? For what its worth, I will hire a plumber to do this.

check valves ('one way' valves are not necessary)

BUT

why not merely fill a 'rain barrel' then the outside spigot becomes unnecessary and the lines can be independant?

the rain barrel can have an overflow into the garden area and a spigot near, but not at, the bottom to allow clearance for filling watering cans

Re: Diverter Valve on hot water inlet to shower? clap

Ok, check valve. Yeah, likely I will just end up filling a rain barrel. Thanks again for your input.

Edited 1 times.

to clarify:

NEITHER check valves or 'one way' valves are necessary

a 'one way' valve IS a check valve

to further confuse the novice: there are unidirectional (usually globe pattern) valves which do NOT act as check valves but which should be installed as per the flow direction arrow stamped thereon

Author: NHSuper (NH)

If you really want to waste money, put in a new shower valve with multiple outlets. I installed one during a bathroom renovation with a lever that can send water to either a showerhead, handheld, or tub.

Hotdamn,

Just came across this and thought of you:

12."Use a bucket to collect the water you'd typically waste while waiting for your shower or bath water to warm up and save it for watering plants."

"I live in California where we are going through probably the sixth or seventh drought in my lifetime with sometimes severe water use restrictions. I do this every single day. You don’t realize how much water you waste while waiting for it to warm up until you see it fill up a giant bucket in less than a minute."

—sidneykaler

DO'H

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.