Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tips on calcium build up
Author: clanderson (NE)

We have a farm with well and septic. The well has pretty hard water which stains the toilet bowls, bath fixtures, and kitchen sink from calcium build up. No evidence of iron staining. Wife and I have adopted a regime in which we use 30% acetic acid to clean the above every few months, and on the toilets and porcelain(glassed) surfaces scotchbrite and sometimes 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the calcium streaks and build up. I had someone tell me that this will irreparably damage the porcelain. Said we should get a water softener instead. Since we have a septic system we are really hesitant to throw that much salt into the effluent. Any suggestions as to another way to keep hardwater streaks at bay?

Re: Tips on calcium build up
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? stainless steel fixtures ?

can be easily cleaned with barkeepers friend or bon ami

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Do you think the cleaning process we have now is permanently damaging the porcelain? Really don't want to change to stainless steel. Have a stainless steel kitchen sink that's less than 5 years old and it looks more worn than the 20+ something toilets and tubs.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I would NOT use the fine grit sandpaper.

Barkeepers Friend and a plain sponge will be your best friends.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for the tip.

Author: hj (AZ)

And, you think acetic acid is better for the septic tank than "salt"? I guess I am not a very good source to advise you since I have been putting "salt" into my septic tank for 23 years, so I MIGHT have a problem any day now.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

We also have septic and hard water from a well. To add a bit more detail to the answers above:

Sandpaper will destroy the porcelain quickly. Stop now.

Barkeepers Friend will also scratch porcelain, but MUCH more slowly than sandpaper. Think of it as 1600 grit with added detergent. Here is the MSDS [www.barkeepersfriend.com] . I use it on our toilets when a yellow scotchbright sponge is inadequate. It will not hurt your toilets or septic in the small amounts needed. Company FAQ: [barkeepersfriend.com]

A water softener will cost you more than replacing your toilets every few years, given the equipment cost and salt cost. Pretty extreme solution for toilet rings. Your friend "someone" probably hasn't tried their own advice. If you are happy with how your skin feels after a shower, and how clean your clothes get, skip the water softener.

When acids and bases (your hard water) combine and neutralize each other, they make salts, although far less salt than a water softener dumps. In any case, these salts are not going to hurt your septic system. If your acetic acid regimen works for you, you are likely safe to continue using it. Won't hurt the toilet at all.

A properly designed septic system will last for decades, as long as you don't put anything down the drain except human waste and septic-safe toilet paper. Alas, every variety of soap shortens the life of your leach field. If you really want to accelerate septic failure, use a garbage disposal, fabric softener, excess soap, caustic cleansers and lots of perfumes and lotions and potions. And especially drain cleaner.

In short, you're fine.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.