Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 closet flange issue
Author: mr leak (CA)

The closet flange 2 and a halt inches below the slab is actually about a quarter inch out of level.When I install the stack rings should I try and address this issue as I install the stack rings OR let the heavy duty wax ring take care of this
Thanks in advance

Re: closet flange issue
Author: bernabeu (SC)

You need to address the base issue and not attemp a 'rube goldberg' "fix".

Pun intended.

IMO: stop asking actual plumbers how to create non code compliant abortions

Vic, please reword in a polite fashion as you see fit

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i would think a flange like this would slide in at a slight angle and take care of the problem.
as an added precaution i would smear some bowl wax onto the rubber rings.
do secure the flange well to the finish floor.
[www.menards.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

I would not worry about the 1/4" out of level, but WOULD worry about the distance under the floor> I would figure out how to raise the flange and then you can easily level the flange

Author: mr leak (CA)

Ithank everyone for their reply Im not trying to rue Goldberg this but only want to the work but I did not install the closet flange as noted only want to see how to fix this
The toilet was installed with 2 thick wax rings and think there is a better fix so this is why I asked for help .Is not this web site s
for issues as this without insults?

Author: steve (CA)

What material and diameter is the riser pipe? Does existing flange attach to the inside or outside of the riser? There are ABS/PVC long necked flanges that could be cut down to fit inside a 4" pipe/outside 3".

One fixes things by 'making them right'.

Code states flange must be on top of the finished floor.

Therefor, one may NOT use, nor does one ever need, 'thick' wax rings to compensate for non compliant installation(s).

Remember, if you can 'see' the 'repair' it is NOT a repair, merely a 'patch'.

BOTH the toilet and the flange rest ON TOP OF the finished floor - the wax merely seals out the sewer gas - the liquid effluent flows away by gravity theoretically without contacting the wax. The toilet 'horn' actually is LOWER than the top face of the flange and 'sorta' acts as a hose nozzle - now you know WHY they are shaped as they are.

Sorry for the previous 'gruffness'.

..... over and out

Edited 1 times.

did not remember your PREVIOUS post where i suggested:

(available from our sponser)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.