Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Temporary laundry setup with toilet
Author: Tempbasement (CA)

We are about to have our foundation replaced and basement expanded, and laundry is in the basement. Work expected to last 10 weeks or so, and I would like to avoid the laundromat as much as possible. We have an ADU with a 1/2 bath. I'm wondering if I can put the washer by the garage doors on the ADU and run a longish hose over to the toilet supply valve just to hobble through the project. Washer could drain directly onto landscape since it would be by the door, and I'd avoid bleach, etc. Just gentle, plant-safe soaps. Also understand that means no hot waahes at home, but i often wash on cold anyway. Is there a problem with this plan? We don't need the ADU toilet during this work.

(Draining to 1/2 bath sink not really an option since it will be sort of far away and sink is tiny/might not have capacity for amounts coming from washer. Also, hot water from sink not an option because sink hot water comes from tiny on-demand heater and it could not keep up with a washer. Drying will be line drying or going to laundromat for driers only.)

Re: Temporary laundry setup with toilet
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? drain the washer into the toilet ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Tempbasement (CA)

I guess I could, but i'm more comfortable draining outside to avoid overflow. And more worried that there is some issue with connecting to toilet supply. Do I need a special connector, and if so can I get one that's like...10 feet long?

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

+

[www.amazon.com]

Author: packy (MA)

the hose my friend from SC shows will work fine you just need to extend it four more feet.
a 48 inch washer supply hose and a 3/4 inch hose coupling will do it
[www.homedepot.com]

packy,

the link i posted has multiple lengths available (4 through 12 feet)

tongue sticking out smiley

didn't look..
then a kit with a 3/8 x 10ft supply will work perfectly.

just thought of this.
you may need a hose Y washing machine connector.
just connect the adapter supplied in the DW kit to the single end of the Y hose.

[www.lowes.com]

yep .... good 'pick-up'

or

a hose cap for the hot connection on the back of the washer

else

'flood city' here we come

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I drained the washer into the toilet during a remodel. I ran a piece of vinyl tubing (7/8" OD fits snugly), inserted into the washer outlet hose (tightened a bit with a hose clamp). I jammed a short scrap of ½" PEX into the end and inserted it into the overflow tube of the toilet so it cleaned the bowl. I tried to figure out a way to keep on doing it after I finished, I liked it so much.

just hang the 'hook' of the hose on the bowl and close the seat over it to keep it in place

i would NOT use the overflow tube as it merely discharges into the bowl through the 'jet' and the 'rim holes' and may not, or may, take a washer's full discharge

the key being 'may'

Edited 1 times.

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I had the opposite experience. At the beginning of discharge the jet of water was strong enough to push the hose out of the toilet even with the lid down. I added a clamp to weight it. On the other had the discharge through the overflow tube never overflowed. Of course I made sure the bowl wasn't clogged.

whatever works

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.