Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Brass versus Bronze
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I ordered a tub faucet I liked online from Big Home Store. (They had none of the same configuration in stock - I couldn't find one elsewhere locally.) The installation manual says to mount it on 'brass drop ear elbows', but all the drop ear elbows at Big Home Store are bronze (they promise lead-free-ness though). I could find them elsewhere but they're less common. What's the composition of plumbing bronze? All copper and tin? Is plumbing brass now all copper and zinc? I noticed some of the other fixtures were only in bronze, not brass.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Brass versus Bronze
Author: steve (CA)

Bronze can also have some aluminum and/or manganese in it. Brass contains "zinc alloy", so there's something other than pure zinc in it. Either brass or bronze is fine for your drop ear.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

Thanks. Why are some fittings bronze and others brass (other than for appearances)?

Is there a problem connecting brass and bronze fittings, either threaded or sweated? I can imagine migration of some elements, or corrosion.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no problem

bronze fittings tend to be thicker and better made

no 'migration'

Brass is more ductile and malleable than bronze which is a more brittle metal comparatively. If the metal bends without breaking then chances are you’ve got brass. While both metals are resistant to corrosion, bronze provides much better protection.

'Modern' lead free brass is any alloy of copper and zinc.

Bronze is a metal alloy consisting primarily of copper, usually with tin as the main additive, but sometimes with other elements such as phosphorus, manganese, aluminum, or silicon.

[www.bing.com]

bronze is better and more expensive than brass

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.