Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need to do a HACK job on my toilet
Author: bradleyheathhays (CT)

I've got an older toilet with a huge flush capacity so I'm trying to keep it rather than replacing it with a newer lower capacity toilet.

Problem is it's as old as the hills and the oval shaped rubber gasket between the tank and base has aged and water now leaks at that connection point when it's flushed.

I'm guessing what I need to fix the issue is some kind of flexible adhesive that bonds to ceramic. I believe where the two make contact the bottom is glazed and the tank isn't...so the adhesive would need to stick to both glazed and non-glazed ceramic.

Any suggestion for what kind of gasket maker adhesive to use? or advice in general on how to get this done? Thanks

Re: Need to do a HACK job on my toilet
Author: Tom130 (IL)

Have you tried replacing the gasket? Our sponsor has a good selection at [www.plumbingsupply.com] and if you scroll down far enough there's a video on the process.

Author: packy (MA)

just be sure to use the correct gasket.
also while you have things apart, replace the bolts, nuts and washers. the set only costs a few bucks. (make sure they are brass)

Author: bernabeu (SC)

SOLID brass - not 'plated' or 'finished'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bradleyheathhays (CT)

Thanks for the advice yall. I tried to remove my tank to take pictures of the situation and was quickly reminded the last time I put it back together I laid down some caulk between it and the bottom, and it is now solidly attached, but apparently still not sealed. There's a decent chance I can work it loose, but that would involve possibly compromising the seal in the floor and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

So for now I'd just like to lay in a good band of caulking or adhesive around the junction where I can get to it and see if that gets me by. Any suggestion for something that will likely fix this leak? Here's the junction where I can get to it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you need to remove and reinstall the tank

NOTHING else will work

ps. turn off the electricity first

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.