Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Unknown Faucet
Author: Zhetoman (OK)

Purchased house 6 months ago. Cold faucet on right is dripping. Cannot find name anywhere. Also cannot find anyway to remove handle of access washers, if there are any. Does anyone recognize it?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Unknown Faucet
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Kingston Brass

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

hold the handle from moving and with your hand spin the round part below it counter clockwise.

Author: Curly (CA)

It might be Kingston Brass.....but I'm going to bet my money that it is a Kohler K-16102-4 in chrome. Model name is Revival.

Normally Kohler is pretty good about putting their name on their faucets. So double check for that.

Handle SHOULD come off as Packy described.

Kohler might give you parts under warranty....but I think this faucet came out before Kohler started offering lifetime warranty.

Good Luck.

curly,

you nailed it

KOHLER

[www.bing.com]

Author: Curly (CA)

Now that is the way to start my day by having Bernabeu telling me I nailed it.....smiling smiley

Many thanks for the reply and photo.

The faucet is a - Kohler K-16102-4-CP Widespread Lavatory Faucet. I even found a PDF Users Guide that has a parts blowup.

Now for rub #1 - I can't get the skirt to move. I watched a YouTube video. The "expert" couldn't get the skirt to move with a strap wrench (which I don't have). He used a waterpump pliers on the strap and got it off. Then he could not get the cartridge out (the whole assembly was turning). He used some oddball looking offset wrench (don't have one of them either) under the sink.

Now for rub #2 - The closest Lowe's or Home Depot is 40 miles away. To be safe and avoid multiple trips I would have to buy both tools (and probably get the wrong size the first time).

Might be wiser to just buy a new faucet set.

Oh the joys of home ownership.

1 800 4KOHLER

dump the problem into their lap.

The life-time warranty is for original homeowner only.

I tested and found both hot and cold are leaking. So, based on quick research, it would be about the same cost to just buy a new faucet rather than fix the old one. The bad thing is that there are 3 additional bathrooms with the same crappy faucet. Arrgh.

An actual PLUMBER may be needed to rebuild the QUALITY and VERY EXPENSIVE faucets you already own.

OR

DIY and replace them with 'big box store' junk.

ps. a narrow strap wrench + some plaster for 'grip' on the chrome WILL unscrew the skirts - however you may need a 'holdback' underneath with a basin wrench

[www.us.kohler.com]

pps. while the necessary parts may cost the same as new cheap faucet, you would then have a new CHEAP faucet

? Do you fix the Bentley good as new or spend the same on a new Yugo ?

Edited 3 times.

Get a plumber to come fix it - sounds of uncontrolled laughter.

I needed gas lines run from the meter into the kitchen and utility room. Probably a $1,200 to $1,500+ job.

Spent two weeks trying to get an estimate. I called every plumber in town (6 of them, small town in OK, pop. 6,000) and left multiple messages. Two called back and said they would call to schedule later. Never did. More calls simply went to voicemail. Never even one answer. I called 4 large plumbing companies in Tulsa, a short hour away. NOPE. We don't come to your town.

So, getting a plumber to come out for this problem. About as likely as pigs flying or congress doing something right. angry

The prices I checked were Kohler & Pfister on Amazon.

you own $500-600 MSRP retail faucets

evidently several of them

take it from there

good luck

Edited 1 times.

i don't know which model faucets you have but changing out a widespread faucet is a two man job. they are a PITA to do and if you have a pedestal lav/s then you almost have to remove the sink from the wall to change the faucet.

i don't know how you priced your replacement parts but the most popular model is not all that expensive.
[www.amazon.com]
BTW, i think i did see pigs fly once.. as for the latter ??????

The OP has lever handles.

The catridges you 'refed' are CCW close.

ie. cold side

Although Kohler ceramic valve cartridges are available in hot (which means the water turns off by turning the handle clockwise) and cold (the water turns off counterclockwise), the only difference between the two is the way the valves turn. However, if you mistakenly have a “hot” when you need a “cold,” the valves can be reversed.

On the top of the valve, at the base of the splined stem, there is a clip. The clip can be removed either with your fingers or needle-nose pliers. Do not lose the clip as you will need to reinstall it later.

Once the clip is removed, lift the silver disk underneath and turn it 90 degrees. Then slide the disk back down and reinstall the clip. This will allow the valve to turn in the other direction.
[support.kohler.com].

CLEVER LITTLE DEVILS... this keeps them from having to machine two different stems and bodies. one CW nad another CCW.

packy - the king

all bow before the limiteless font of knowledge

smiling smiley

for the OP: THIS is EXACTLY why you need a plumber

.................... to perform PLUMBING

@ packy

from your posted link:

**Please note ultra glide valves are not reversible.

frowning

Edited 1 times.

Ain't gonna happen.

The ones that actually return phone calls say that are not even taking new calls. The "claim" they are backed up for weeks.

So.........................

The 'trick' to using a strap wrench on chrome plated stuff is to get one with a FABRIC strap and sprinkle it with dry plaster which will establish 'grip' on the shiny polished chrome.

This is the way we used to tighten chrome plated brass nipples in the 'olden' days.

Your problem will be with the required 'hold-back' under the sink.

You may need a basin wrench - get a Rigid branded one - great tool to own anyway.

And a helper.

Go for it on the least used faucet - if you fail THEN you can replace the faucet - which you would have to remove with the above tools ANYWAY.

Author: hj (AZ)

And WHO told them you WERE NOT the original "owner". I always got replacements for my customers.

If it is a "2 man job", that means I could never have installed one.

I usually just invert he clip.

Sometime the SERVICING becomes a two man job to avoid removing the sink and/or counter-top in order to get a solid holdback froom the 'underneath'.

Unless one wears a 36" sleeve size.

For a DIYer it should can ALWAYS be a one man job because their time is not an issue.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.