Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tub overflow allows flooding
Author: Plumber Cameron (ID)

I am a little embarrassed, but today I flooded my own bathroom. I was drawing a bath, got distracted and when I got back my bathroom was half converted to a pool. I like swimming much as the next guy just not when I am sitting on the potty. Pulled the plug and the overflow cover to drain and everything drained down fast. There is no blockage, and the over flow drain works great with the cover off.

I thought that perhaps it was that the threaded end of the pvc of the overflow was too close to the cover and not allowing water to flow freely in between so I trimmed the pvc a bit. Nope still didn’t drain with the cover on. Now I think that the way the cover is designed is making a pocket of air that pushes against the water.

Now before anyone says anything about how a vent properly placed wouldn’t allow for that, this is a 1940’s farm house and I am sure proper venting meant something very different. What I need is a snap on cover for a tub drain that allows for more free flow of air I think, but that is my best guess.

Any thoughts or product suggestions?

Re: Tub overflow allows flooding
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? drill a 'small' hole at the 'top' of the overflow cover to act as a vent ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Plumber Cameron (ID)

I thought of drilling a small hole, but even though I think it would work, and I could deburr any sharp edges I just hate the way it looks even in my head.

I took the easy road turned the trim cover for the overflow sideways with the open end facing inwards toward the tub surround. I don’t like that either, like putting in a faucet sideways, it just bugs me, but now the overflow is functional.

I wish Watco made a replacement cover with a fast drain design with slats or something especially when a tub goes into an older home that would be really smart, but unless I want start cutting into it this appears to be the best option, but I can’t be the only one this has happened too.

I wonder if the same issue would happen in a horizontal wet vent in the bathroom. That is legal in my neck of the woods... that would be a bad day for some apartment owners.

Author: packy (MA)

the only place an overflow can come out in the piping is a low point trap.
yeah it can come out at the toilet seal bi it's not supposed to leak there.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

if the cover is 'typical' you could cut a small notch on the top 'back' edge which butts against the tub

a hacksaw cut 1/16 - 3/32 would suffice

it would be virtually invisible

OR

if you have a one hole overflow cover:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.