Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing Mess Needs Solution
Author: garthhumbert (CA)

I'm getting (ground mount) solar so I started trenching for hookups knowing that the connection point would be tricky (see photo).

Looking for ideas on the best way to rebuild the main water / spigot / pool fill structure. Obviously safety and longevity are most important issues.

Any/All thoughts and feedback appreciated grinning smiley

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Plumbing Mess Needs Solution
Author: packy (MA)

what's the fitting immediately above the shut off (gate valve) ?

is that a tee with something going thru the siding?

Yes, T goes into the house...

so, the water main actually comes from the house into that tee ?

Author: sum (FL)

That looks puzzling. Either the water comes from the house into this tee or the pool pump branch is upstream of the house shutoff. What is the pool pump line for?

The PVC electrical is twisted and deformed is it from shovels hitting it?

What is the supply line in the house? Galvanized or copper?

Edited 1 times.

it looks like someone removed an old outside faucet, screwed on a galvanized tee and ran the piping from there. ???

it shouldn't be a big deal to re-arrange what you have there but we have to know which direction the main water is coming from.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the underground line 'marked' {to pool pump} may likely actually be an irrigation feed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I'm obviously not a plumber and the original owner/builder said this was the first house he ever built :/

- @sum PVC/electrical pipe was like that when I dug it up...
- @sum I believe the supply line is galvanized. There's rust on it.
- @bernabeu you may be correct. It goes directly toward the pool equipment, so I assumed it was for that.
- @packy that's good to hear smiling smiley

See new photo below for (more) context)...It's a setup on the other side of the house.

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

100% of that galvanized is going to need replacement eventually. I owned a San Jose house for 27 years that was built with galvanized throughout. The main burst at 40 years old, other pipes began to drip until after 60 years it was all replaced.

All of which is to say, replace every foot of exposed galvanized, plus whatever else you can get to nearby. It will never be cheaper, easier or less disruptive than today. You can see substantial corrosion in your first photo, near the SPIGOT and WATER MAIN spots.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Plumber Cameron (ID)

So I am not sure what your ground mounted solar requires. It might require a certain amount of clearance, or a concrete base, especially if it is on a post. Once you know that the plumbing can be changed to fit the parameters it requires and at the same time you can update some of the more antiquated plumbing features. Running your water pipes in parallel might be good as well, but it depends on your state codes. I would get a solar tech out to see what you need. Then a plumber with pool install and repair experience. Tell him your goal with solar. He is going to know the rules and regs for your state and will be able to put in a safe and hygienic set up that will help you meet your solar goal. Whatever the case is for how you do it I would want that work covered by a professionals warranty and insurance because if something goes wrong it looks like you are going to have solar riding on top of a couple of two inch water lines from the pool with your homes main electrical conduit sandwiched in between and the water main? as well. To me that is a lot going on and that could go wrong in one little spot, but if it has to be there just make it safe.
Nobody wants to jump into an electric pool or have their house water flavored with pool chemicals and sunscreen.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.