Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Question about capping angle stop valve
Author: cessnat37

Last night one of the hoses on my dishwasher ruptured and flooded the kitchen floor. So I will probably never use it again. The 1/4 turn angle stop valve has an outlet for both kitchen sink faucet and water supply for the dishwasher.

I'm going to put one of those threaded compression caps on the dishwasher part of the angle stop valve. Do I need to insert a rubber washer or seal inside that cap first? Thanks, Dave

Re: Question about capping angle stop valve
Author: bernabeu (SC)

You need:

a gasket

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

The package for the cap says to use a ferrule. Use a ferrule when both valve and cap are threaded ? What about using teflon tape instead, on the angle stop threads before I cap it?

Author: NoHub (MA)

I use to (in my spear time) take pieces of 3/8 & 1/4" copper tubing cut about 3" long ...flux,crimp and solder one end. This way I could always cap a stop and all I needed was a nut and ferrule.

The cap I am using is threaded. Will teflon tape do?

Also, it's not the main supply water line that burst. That one is stainless steel braided and it is fine. It's the hose that transports water to the spray arm when the inlet valve opens. A threaded hose would not work on that because those are just push-on type.

What about cutting the threaded fittings of an internally braided supply line and clamping it on?

Edited 1 times.

the spray arm may have been clogged creating enough back pressure so the hose (which is normally 'lightly' pressurized) failed

? should it have failed ?

probably not

Edited 1 times.

Can you use a ferrule when both cap and angle stop valve outlet are threaded? And the cap doesn't seem deep enough for a ferrule

Also, I had not considered that clogging might have caused back pressure.

[youtu.be]

use a size "0" faucet washer as the gasket

Ok. Cool. I actually found a 17/32 washer that fit's nice and tight in the cap.
Regarding the replacement of that hose that transports water from the dishwasher valve to the tub/spray arm,
I found polyethylene and braided vinyl tubing in the big box store. The braided vinyl tubing seems quite strong

Are those both ok for potable water?

the hose must be rated for 180 degree HOT water as the DW is capable of heating the water INTERNALLY

i would NOT attempt to reverse engineer appliances

i would MAINTAIN said appliances as per mfgr specs

Edited 1 times.

The problem is, no one has ever really told me exactly what hose I need. They say most anything will work since it's lower pressure. And it's important to note, the DW valve will only take a push-on hose to be clamped on. Threaded fitting won't work.

I'll post a photo tonight when I get home from work.

Edited 1 times.

? there is not an OEM hose available as a replacement part from the mfgr ?

I don't know. The dishwasher is from 1995. I'll call GE today. I still have the manual.
When I made the same inquiry on this back in 2015, I was told I could pretty much use anything for that hose.

I forgot with PLbg you have to link a photo from a file sharing site. I'll do this later when I have time.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Why not just replace the valve with a single port angle valve if you plan not to get a new dishwasher

I screwed on a compression cap with a 17/32 inch rubber washer. I hand tightened, then 1/2 turn with a wrench. No leaks. I might give it another 1/4 turn.

I'm emailing with GE support.They should tell me next week what hose replacement to use. I won't be using this dishwasher again. But I still want it to be in full working order if I sell the house.

(link to photo below)

[next.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 times.

GE sent me a part number for a replacement hose with an insane price. I ended up using left over clear braided PVC hose. The dishwasher is disconnected from the water valve since I will no longer use the dishwasher. But it can be easily reconnected and used when the house is sold one day

Clear pvc tubing is COLD WATER rated ONLY even if braided internally to resist pressure.

Surely you will disclose this defect to the new homeowner.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.