Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Slow draining sink, looks like a p trap plus something else?
Author: squarecoats (MA)

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and completely uneducated about plumbing so please bear with any cluelessness on my part!

My mom and I just moved into a new apartment and the bathroom sink is so slow draining my mom doesn't even want to use it to brush her teeth. The property manager told us that the pipes had to curve in a particular way but I'm not sure he would be able to tell us why (based on a number of other odd things about this place, like the front door knob being installed upside down..). It seems like the slow drainage has been the case for a long time.

I looked under the sink and it looks like there's a p trap plus some kind of loop de loop.

Wondering what the best way to proceed is, hoping that there's one or more solutions I could do myself, assuming the drainage problem is resulting from some aspect of the pipes visible in the pictures.

Also, I've seen some replacement piping I could get at a hardware store that was designed to be as easy as possible for non-plumbing-informed people to install on their own. Assuming I could install something like this correctly, are there any reasons off the bat that this would be inadvisable?

Thanks! Appreciate your time & thoughts! Happy to try to provide follow-up info.

Re: Slow draining sink, looks like a p trap plus something else?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

The sink is presently DOUBLE trapped which is NOT proper and will cause very very slow drainage.

The issue, however, is VERY easy to fix for any level of handyman plumbing skills.

The top plastic 'pieces' need removal and the bottom trap simply needs to be extended or replaced so the center is under the sink outlet.

It can all be done with tubular pieces BUT said pieces may not be compliant in MA.

Tell your landlord that because it is MA he MUST hire an actual plumber to fix the piping in his INCOME PRODUCING rental property.

The present piping is NOT code compliant and therefor renders the unit unfit for human occupation.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Thank you so much applause
Author: squarecoats (MA)

Wow, thank you so much!!
Your response is more than I hoped for, I'm very grateful! : )

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

it's hard to tell ??? is that a chrome slip nut visible at the wall flange ?
removing that chrome trap can be (on a scale of (1-10) either a one or a ten.

the outlet end looks round to me.
that means it could be a threaded outlet trap screwed onto a nipple?

IMO:

'solid' threaded trap

probably originally a pedestal sink

hence the 'no back' cabinet to avoid dealing with the trap removal (which would have been eezy-peezy w/o any obstructions)

Author: packy (MA)

so now trap removal becomes much more difficult.
hopefully not screwed onto a galvanized nipple but screwed onto a copper male adapter.

I would bet 80/20 on a galvanized nipple.

Juuuust maybe, if the OP is lucky, a pair of tubular 45s or 90s on the tailpiece would work.

OR

Simply print out this thread for the LANDLORD.

................. over and out

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.