Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Heat Pipe Replacement
Author: m8480 (NY)

Had a pex pipe burst this past season because of some pressure and high temp issues with the system. I made a temp repair to the pipe. All other items were fixed. I am going to make the perm repair now before the season starts. Have a gas boiler hot water baseboard two zone system. Repair will be on the 1st floor zone. I did not use oxygen barrier pipe for the repair. Couldn’t get it on short notice at the time. I will drain the zone and remove pipe and replace with new pipe. Just reaching out to the group to see if there is anything I need to watch out for or keep in mind. Anything procedurally to consider. The hardest part is that it is in a crawl space. It is just the one pipe about 15 feet long. Thanks all for reading and for any responses.

Re: Heat Pipe Replacement
Author: packy (MA)

you made a temporary repair and now you are making a permanent repair with the correct material.
you are good to go...

Author: bsipps (PA)

My suggestion would be do not use push type fittings like shark bites

I would use actual pex fittings and crimp rings

I spoke with a rep from viega when I saw the plastic pex fittings for the first time and asked them if the plastic fittings where suitable for heat applications, I was told a crimp joint is a crimp joint no matter the material… 5 year warranty

I would still buy the brass fittings for the heat work especially because you wrote about past pressure and temperature issues

Re: Heat Pipe Replacement clap

Thanks guys. I will be using the expansion type connectors. Both ends going to brass fittings. That is what I have and what is throughout the entire house for 15 years now. The high temp and pressure issue occurred in the boiler with a bad expansion tank and faulty aquastat. I was lucky the pex burst where it did. I have since replaced most parts of the boiler. Guess I was lucky could have been much worse. All else was working great at the end of last season.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The boiler Pressure Relief Valve 'should' pop (open) well before a pipe burst due to pressure.

If the piping supplying hydronic heat(ing) fluid burst due to TEMPERATURE perhaps a system redesign is in order.

............... just saying ...................

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

did you save the burst pipe?
i would contact the manufacturer to send them the piece. (if you still have it)
they will be very interested to see what the reason for the failure is.
if there was a manufacturing defect, they might pay for a complete repipe.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again. I did replace the pressure relief valve as well. Also set temp of boiler lower to be safe 170 was at 180. I may still have the pipe. If so I will contact the manufacturer. I was a bit surprised that it burst as well. Thought pex could expand enough to prevent that.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.