Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sulfur smell
Author: bsipps (PA)

Any theories on why I get a sulfur smell from only one faucet cold side

House is on a well with softener/ filtration system

This is the 2nd time I heard of this scenario this month

The first time the problem faucet was the last fixture served by the cold water line

This time the fixture is almost the first one served by the cold line

These are different residential houses

Edited 1 times.

Re: Sulfur smell
Author: packy (MA)

why it happens to the cold side ???

"The purpose of the anode rod is to draw corrosive minerals to it so that the rod corrodes instead of the inner lining of the tank. Many anode rods are made of magnesium or aluminum. When these rods corrode, the metals react with the sulfates in the water, turning the sulfate into stinky hydrogen sulfide.Feb 21, 2020"

I understand the function of an anode rod

I’m not sure why a sulfur smell comes from only 1 lavatory faucet cold side only in a master bathroom double bowl sink no other fixture serving water has any foul smell

Author: packy (MA)

recirculating line ????

Good thought but there is no visible recirculating line

Unless it is built into the tankless navien water heater

Author: bernabeu (SC)

????? gremlins ?????

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Seems like it… I’m not fond of wells

Author: vic (CA)

New flex supply line on the cold side of that specific faucet?

?? New 'el cheapo' flex supply line ..... ??

tongue sticking out smiley

I’ve made similar suggestions to the homeowner

He doesn’t seem too worried about it now if I go back and and find the issue I will update you guys

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this issue, thanks for the responses

Bernabeu that's exactly what I was thinking as I've seen and heard of that more than once. Not a sulphur odor however various other unpleasant odors and tastes coming from a newly installed "budget" (sometimes costing as much as top quality) supply flexes. Speaking as a plumbing supplier it can be tough to compete on the price of flexes as virtually everyone perceives that a flex is a flex ... as in all are basically alike when in fact virgin plastics do cost more than recycled plastics and so on.

for the typical DIYer:

IMO:

The ONLY advantage a s/s braided 'flex' has over a semi rigid PEX connector is the s/s braid 'generally' prevents a pet from chewing through the connector and causing a flood.

The s/s braid is merely a 'decorative' cover over the oft cheap vinyl or other plastic liner.

A 'true' flex connector is a corrugated metallic tube.

Which serves no real purose when compared to a 'speedy connector'. - Chrome plated annealled Cu tube.

So, it takes an extra 5 minutes to 'do it right' using a speedy.

HOWEVER

'Some'/'most' faucet manufacturers no longer supply a 'shank nut' with the new faucet - so, unless one can reuse a previous nut .................................. frowning

A 'typical' best practice install:

Edited 1 times.

Author: sheilaf (AL)

If the odor only happens when the water is cold, chances are there is an iron bacteria infestation. Iron bacteria are common in water found in well systems, and survive during the winter by hunkering down and hibernating. When the water is released from it's storage tank in the spring and is warmer than the surrounding ground, it wakes up and starts eating - hence the smell. The cure is to treat the water with an oxidizer, which can be found at a pool supply store. The water must be treated at the source, so you will need to attach a garden hose to the output of the pressure tank and run the hose to a location where you can add the oxidizer. Follow the instructions on the package. If the water is already softened and filtered, you will probably have to have the water tested for Iron bacteria by the local health department or water quality testing laboratory. If Iron bacteria is the problem, you will need to treat the water for at least one full year, if not longer. You do not need to shock the system by dumping bleach into the well, as bleach will not kill the bacteria, and will instead create a potentially harmful condition.

... live and learn ...

Zheilaf thanks for your input.

I believe that the reason that I and some others question this is because bsipps only experiences the sulfur smell coming out of one single faucet on the cold side,

To me IF the sulphur smell was coming out of most of the faucets, hosebibbs, etc THEN I certainly would accept that the bacteria is the cause.

What do think about the fact that bsipps only has the sulphur smell coming out of one single faucet and not all faucers, etc?

Author: Arthursamuel (Canada)

Water from well systems frequently contains iron bacteria, which hibernate and hunker down in the winter to survive. It awakens and begins to feed when the water is released from its storage tank in the spring and is warmer than the surrounding ground, which causes the scent. A pool supply store will have an oxidizer that can be used to treat the water as a remedy.Thanks

Author: jmack121 (MS)

I'm not sure how long ago this post was from, but was there ever a clear resolution? I have a newly remodeled bathroom in the house I bought a year ago. Bathroom was finished about 11 months ago. It's upstairs (and has the only plumbing fixtures on the second floor of the house). There's a double sink, and the cold water on both faucets smells like sulfur, especially when used first thing in the morning. The smell started in the far sink first, then the other faucet water started to smell. The shower water doesn't smell. There's no smell from any of the downstairs faucets, so I don't think it's the water heater. We're not on well water.

In the previous thread, I saw some suggestion that the smell could be related to low quality hoses. Any idea if that turned out to be the case? I'm not a DIY person, so if all the hoses in the double sink need replacing, that will be a pretty big deal for me.

Thanks!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.