Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Am I crazy? Plumbing supplier says this will cause back-pressure, I don't see how.
Author: MrTemple (WA)

It feels like I'm asking for the simplest thing ever for my shower.

I want:

1. A shower with both an overhead and a hand unit working at once.
2. One master temp/volume control, where with one handle I can use both the overhead and hand unit, setting temp, etc.
3. \*VERY\* occasionally turn off the overhead (so I can bathe my dog with just the hand unit).

My plumbing supplier has me in the weeds. We're currently looking at the Rohl line of fixtures. Rohl has the following fixtures:

RCT-1 (1/2” PRESSURE BALANCE WITHOUT DIVERTER), which does the single-control volume/temp capable of 6GPM at 60psi. ([images.salsify.com])

R1040R (UNIVERSAL 3/4” VOLUME CONTROL ROUGH VALVE), which is a line shut-off that can let me turn the overhead off. ([images.salsify.com])

Here's the proposed plumbing schematic:

The supplier is saying it won't work because when the overhead line is closed via the volume control, back-pressure will come back to the T, then travel upstream of the T and affect the pressure-balance valve (RCT-1).

Now it's important to note that the line to the hand-held unit will never, EVER be closed. That side of the T will always be open.

How will the back-pressure come back upstream of the T? The flow will always be going into the T and out of the hand-held side. How could pressure go back up.

I mean it will slightly vary the pressure because the flow will be variable, but this is the same as using a single showerhead with variable flow settings, right, should be able to handle it fine as long as there's still a net output to the flow from the pressure balance valve.

Am I missing something here?

(Note: I shower late at night after hockey, usually in the near dark to not wake my wife. I really, really want to have just one control to start/stop my shower and change the temp, which I do regularly during a shower. The overhead shutoff will VERY rarely be used. Only when I'm showering the dog. So really the flow will never change when the RCT-1 is in the ON position. Only very occasionally will the flow rate change, and that will happen before the RCT-1 is turned on.)

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Am I crazy? Plumbing supplier says this will cause back-pressure, I don't see how.
Author: hj (AZ)

The pressure balancer is monitoring the relative hot and cold pressures AHEAD of the valve, NOT the "mixed" pressure after the valve so any "back pressure" is irrelevant.

Re: Am I crazy? Plumbing supplier says this will cause back-pressure, I don't see how.
Author: sum (FL)

I think it will work for your stated purposes.

The only downside is this is non typical so when you sell the house eventually a buyer may see this as a defect instead of a feature. "Why can you shut off the overhead shower but not the hand shower? This needs to be fixed as part of the condition of sale!" and of course by then the fix is difficult because it means removing wall tiles and opening the wall cavity.

The simple solution is to install a diverter at the tee, to go to 1 only, 2 only or both.

My understanding is in these situation of multiple devices it's either (a) thermostatic valve with multiple volume controls, or (b) pressure balance with multi-port diverter.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

separate diverter valve with three positions:

A - B - or BOTH A & B

..... The 3-way shower and tub diverter enables you to change the water flow between handheld showerhead, mounted showerhead, or both at once. .....

Said valve installs IN THE WALL after the mixing valve

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

I have piped hundreds of shower systems the way you diagram shows and have not heard any negative feedback hj is correct the back pressure is not severe on the mixed port

Author: stevarino62 (TX)

Should work as long as the hand held is not left on and the sprayer is in the off position,,as it can circulate back thru water piping and cause hot water to come out the cold side of another faucet,,,Kitchen sink for example.. The same thing can happen if a slenoid valve malfunctions on a washing machine connection...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the hand held should NOT have an OFF else it could create a cross connection between H and C if the overhead were turned off with the mixer open

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.