Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom Draining Help
Author: CJLockhart (PA)

Hi all,
This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I've put this in the wrong section or messed up any technical terms.
I'm redoing my dining room and had the ceiling torn down, and so decided to do the plumbing for an upstairs bathroom above said dining room. The bathtub has a drum trap I was going to replace with a P-trap (not a big issue) but there's a vent pipe connecting just after the drum trap that I'm wondering on the status of. Should it be removed, or should I just tie it in after the P-trap with a wye? The 3" stack for this line is about 6' away if that makes any difference.
[i.imgur.com]
Following along the same drain the tub (and lav sinks) empty into this 3" elbow with a 1.5" drop on the side directly under the commode, and I'm suspecting that's not allowed. I think these are used more for venting, and not much for flushing sewage accidentally into your tub drain. Can/should I rebuild this section to include a 3x3x1.5" wye (or sanitary tee) after the elbow from the commode?
[i.imgur.com]

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.
-C

**Edit - updated image links 7/27 (thanks Steve!)

Re: Bathroom Draining Help
Author: steve (CA)

Your first pic link doesn't work. The vent for the drum trap needs to be connected to the outlet piping from the P- trap. I'm not sure, based on your description, of what the connection is at the toilet, but maybe the toilet is wet vented by the tub drain/vent?

Thanks, Steve! I updated the image links, thank you for catching that. New images should be illustrative.

Any ideas or help to be offered on the commode draining picture?
Thanks everyone,
-C

Author: packy (MA)

i wouldn't change the trap. it all looks good and will last many, many years as it is.
while it is wide open, i would loosen the plug on top of the drum trap and re-install it with some teflon based dope. make it easier to open if you have to in the future.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.