Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Delay in toilet filling after flush
Author: jbimmerle (NY)

Hi all

I've seen a few posts where folks have reports a toilet that is either slow to fill after to flush or there is a few second delay before it starts to fill. I've tried all the various suggestions but haven't had much luck in resolving the issue. Below is a sequence of steps I've tried:

1) Toto Drake toilet with the original toilet valve. When the problem occurred, I cleaned out the float area and the entire fill mechanism after removing the top. I also flushed out the fill line in the tank and the supply line coming into the toilet. I tested flushing toilet after all of this without the top of the valve on. Water shot up as expecting into the cup I had covering it - no observed obstructions. After putting everything back together - the same delay between flush and starting to fill was observed.

2) Thinking that maybe there was something clogged somewhere else in the valve, I replaced it with a Korky 528PRO Pro Grade Max Performance Fill Valve. I have this in another Toto Drake and it works well in that setup. After going through the install - the problem persists. I took apart the Korky as well and gave it a cleaning but everything seemed fine.

3) I checked the flapper to make sure it was closing properly. But after the flush, it continues to pause anywhere from 2-5 seconds and then it starts to fill.

So I'm a bit at a loss. I have a suspicion the PRV on my incoming line to the house is going because I see pretty noticeable drops in water pressure when a single fixture is running and then it drops a bit lower if there are two running. This has been going on a few months now but I haven't had a chance to replace it. The toilet problem also only started recently which is why I didn't think they were connected at first but now I'm wondering if it could be.

Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks
Joe

Re: Delay in toilet filling after flush
Author: steve (CA)

Is the stop valve for the toilet supply a quarter turn or multi-turn valve? If you replaced the fill valve and still have the same issue, I would check the stop valve for a bad washer/debris.

Author: jbimmerle (NY)

It's a quarter turn. Will check that out as well as it is probably the only place that I haven't checked. Thanks!

Author: hi (TX)

Check this out, some fill valves have a flow restrictor that can be plugged.

[www.tiktok.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.