Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flexible PVC pipe for above ground pool plumbing
Author: sum (FL)

Anyone has experience working with flexible PVC piping?

I need to connect my pool manifold outlet, basically it has multiple branches from cleaner, skimmer, main drain, spa into a single 2" PVC horizontal outlet PIPE, and I need to connect that to the pool pump 2" horizontal inlet female threaded.

The problem is the 2" manifold outlet is 14" lower in elevation, and 8" apart horizontally. So I need to make kind of an "S" or offset transition. That means two 90 elbows.

I am wondering, whether I should consider using 2" flexible PVC pipe to make this transition instead, because the flex pipe manipulated into an "S" shape will have a more sweeping gentle curve than two hard 90. The other is the flex pipe will have more "give" if the pump is to shift position a little, from vibration, from someone removing the pump lid to clear the screening basket, from disconnecting the pump for service etc...where as the hard piping will be less forgiving, and need to have a bulky 2" union in this limited space for disconnect purposes.

Is the flex PVC (2" size) really flexible to work with?

Is the flex PVC more likely to leak when solvent welded to regular PVC fittings like couplings and male adapters?

Will the flex PVC less durable than rigid PVC in terms of sun exposure - I know regular PVC is not recommended for sun exposure unless painted.

Re: Flexible PVC pipe for above ground pool plumbing
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? travel piece = 22-3/4" C-C for 14x8 rolled using 45s ?

? packy ?

? hj ?

i am retired too long and no longer have my 'pocket guides'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: vic (CA)

Sum,

I can't answer all of your questions however I would like to mention that I love flexible schedule 40 PVC (aka: spa flex). It's used a lot by pool contractors.

I've used quite a bit of 1/2" as well as 3/4" for many of my sprinkler connections in 3 of my houses. I always have used purple primer and Christy Red Hot Blue Glue and the fittings have always seemed very strong. That said Spa flex should not be used for high pressure lines.

As far as UV degradation I am (only) guessing that it's definitely no better than and most likely worse that standard rigid schedule 40 PVC.

Author: hj (AZ)

"Flexible" is a relative term. You cannot twist it like a "pool noodle" but if your piece is long enough you can make the "s" you need.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, the outside is spirally but the inside is smooth. so i wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Spa-Flex is great stuff, it will glue and seal just like regular PVC, don't forget to use primer.

Be careful how you use it...it does need to be shielded from sun for UV protection, but it is NOT impervious to insects.

We had an inground pool installed in 1996 when we lived in NY and the contractor used Spa-Flex to plumb the skimmers, returns, main drain, and Polaris fitting. All this pipe ran underground around the outside of the pool and surfaced in the equipment shed. We found out years later that the carpenter ants (or something else) were attacking the Spa-Flex 2-3' underground and eating holes in the pipe in an attempt to get to water. We had to have the patio dug up and the Spa-Flex replaced with 2" black poly pipe (like they use for irrigation) to correct the issue. It was expensive. We used a licensed/bonded/insured plumber.

I was told there was a class action suit against Spa-Flex like CPVC but I never got anything out of it.

The flex PVC is great stuff but I wouldn't bury it anywhere I couldn't get to it easily.

Edited 2 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I bought a 36" long piece from a pool supply company and tried to make it work, however, the 2" very stiff and I can't make the "S" shaped transition given the 8" horizontal separation. If I try to force it into a tight turn I am afraid there will be too much strain put onto the pump inlet and manifold outlet. The only way I can make it work is to use a much longer piece and do a loop like how you would loop a 16" supply hose when the connections are only 6" apart. I don't want to do that with a 2" flex hose.

I end up making the connection using rigid PVC pipe and fittings again.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, time to experiment. Try heating the spaflex and see if it will hold an S bend.

Author: vic (CA)

Sum, thanks so much for always sharing with us the results of your work and what you've learned.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.