Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with old shower drain/strainer
Author: TedT-CA (CA)

Hi,
My master shower drain in the house I bought needs work. Problem is that it is under a tile floor that continues around the whole bathroom covering the vanity and soaker tube landing, so removing tile would be a complete bathroom redo.

So the brass has mostly worn off and the previous owner had an over size strainer that does not stay in place and blocks water draining off the shower floor.

I was thinking of cleaning up the drain and epoxy painting it and adding a new matching strainer. But looks like a 3.75" screen would fit well with a 3.5" too small and a 4" a little too big, but I cannot find a 3.75" strainer anywhere. by the way, all the house plumbing seems to be Kohler. The 2 screw holes look like a 2 7/8" center to center.

This is a photo of the drain - it will take some work to clean it up and get the screw holes clear.
[i.postimg.cc]

This is my sketch of the drain dimensions if that helps.
[i.postimg.cc]

If anyone knows of a place to find a cover/strainer this size, I'd appreciate it. Maybe recognizes the drain and knows of an exact part still out there.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Help with old shower drain/strainer
Author: steve (CA)

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

You can get a replacement assembly. I believe there's a trim ring missing from your assembly, that allows the 3.5" screen to be used.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[youtu.be]

measure

then find at: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Actually, if you look at the photo, you can see dark and shiny areas. The shiny areas are still the brass plating, the dark are the now exposed cast iron. SO there was never a trim kit over this. As it is now, the drain is flush with the floor, any addition to it that covers the square area will block water getting tot he drain. I am hoping to find a proper sized cover that will fit inside the opening. I will need to try and re-tap the threads on the screw holes, one is totally sealed up.

It maybe the round portion of the item you sent the photo of would drop in if it is 3.75" in diameter with the screw holes at 2 7/8" center to center. Maybe that is what you were suggesting.

What you have, is the same as the picture I posted. The square bright and tarnished plate is brass and was installed when the tile was set and in addition to the square plate, there's suppose to be a round trim ring and the strainer. I would cut/pry out the tarnished brass square plate and install a new strainer assembly in the finish of your choosing.

Author: Curly (CA)

Steve is correct.

So once I pry the old plate out, what will hold ithe new one down. Would I need to clean out as much grout as possible around the edge and put some grout in to hold it? Or do the 2 screws hold the strainer and the plate?

That plate sees very solid, so no way it was part of the drain?

The condition of the 2 screw holes is pretty bad, I guess I can cleaning out the plugged one with a tap. I asusme these are 8-32 threads?

Thanks
Ted

The square trim is not part of the drain. It was probably set into wet mortar when the tile was installed. Cut out the perimeter grout and start cutting/prying it out. Set the new one in mortar or grout. The screws are more likely 10-24.

Re: Help with old shower drain/strainer clap

Well I ordered one and we'll see how it looks.

Thanks for your help

Ted

Edited 1 times.

Steve,

So when I pull the plate off, what goes the drain look like? Can I use the shower with the plate off, I assume it is still water tight. It might take a few days to get someone to install the new plate. I have spoken to 2 re-grout companies, neither has done this before.

I just want to make sure the new plate does not end up higher than the surrounding tile as that will keep the water form completely draining.

Do you have a photo of the drain itself?

Thanks
Ted

Your drain assembly will look like this. I don't think your riser is adjustable, but it doesn't matter if it is. The sealing is with the clamping of the membrane between the 2 body halves. The square ring is just a decorative element.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.