Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help finding right size valve
Author: imcool (MI)

Hello,

This water filter from previous house owner is too old and I want to change it altogether to new one. It seems the installer techincian used saddle valve on the existing copper line and I tried to touch it once and it started dripping leak so I somehow stopped that leak by wiggling little bit,

Now I want to do 2 things

1, I want to get rid of the saddle valves and solder/install/comp fit the proper valves for the water filter pipes but i have no clue which valves to buy.

2. I want to know which water filter is good now a days.

I tried to google a lot to find proper valve to convert my copper pipe to water filter tube but no luck frowning

Please check pictures

Current water filter I have but its like more basic version and 7-8years old.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Help finding right size valve
Author: packy (MA)

just google search for "plumbing add a line".

big box stores carry kits for just what you want.

to seal the hole the saddle valve has made, just cut a small piece of rubber hose, slit it and secure it over the hole with a stainless hose clamp.

the size is a standard copper tubing size. 5/8 OD

Author: hj (AZ)

Or cut out the piece with the hole in it and put the tee there.

Author: 120volts (CA)

I'm not sure how your sink is set up but mostly all the reputable RO filter systems come with supply line adapters (also available at the big box store or online) that thread into the existing 3/8" or 1/2" shutoff valve along with your cold water supply line. The RO you've shown does not come with it.

Here's a sample of the adapter:

[www.amazon.com]

That said, you'll have to cap off the old saddle connection as packy and hj have suggested. I'm no plumber so I may have missed your point with the plumbing issue so don't mind me.

I would get a minimum 3 filter system. I've installed 30 of these iSpring RCC7's below over the years and are reasonably priced. But the market is flooded with similar types. Whatever you buy make sure you are able to get the filters readily.

[www.amazon.com]

But if you have some money to spare, this one is much cooler and easier to change filters. It requires power and has a TDS display so you'll know when to change. It's tankless.

[www.amazon.com]

iSpring pro's: cheaper cons: harder to change the filters and purge the system every 6months-2 years depending on how much you use the water. Usually about a 45 minute adventure. They also waste water at a 3:1 ratio. And have a big tank you'll need space for under the sink.

Waterdrop pro's: takes three minutes to change the filters and it purges the system on it's own, consumes water at a better 1:1 ratio; cons: pricier, but you might recoup the $$ in changing filters yourself if you hire someone for the iSpring type filter changes.

Author: Curly (CA)

I have installed 3 of the WaterDrop systems in the last 6 months...so far so good.

Like 120 said easy to change filters, do it yourself, tells you when to change filters, more efficient - less waste water, no storage tank, more room under sink for 73 different cleaning products, etc....

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.