Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing outside hose faucet
Author: mjsplumb (PA)

Hello Plbg.com:

Situation:
Outdoor hose faucet leaking

Actions taken so far:
1. Removed hose bib to discover corroded thread on 1/2'” cast iron supply pipe. (Photo 1 & 2)

2. Unscrewed 8 ft section of supply pipe at its indoor basement connection. (Photo 3)

3. Removed damaged pipe from wall.

Supplies to purchase for repair:
1. 8 ft piece of ½” PVC potable water supply line
2. ½” Push-to-Connect x MHT Brass Multi-Turn Hose Bibb
3. Fittings for connecting ½” PVC pipe to the female cast iron elbow with inside threads seen in Photo 2.

QUESTION:
What “Supplies...” topic 3 fitting(s) to buy for connecting PVC tube to cast iron elbow?

-Thanks

Edited 8 times.

Re: Replacing outside hose faucet
Author: steve (CA)

Is that hose bib sized to push onto 1/2" schedule 40 PVC(instead of 1/2" copper)? Is PVC water supply piping allowed inside the structure at your location? Is that section of pipe drainable for freeze protection? A male threaded fitting or piece of schedule 80 PVC could be used at the galvanized 90*.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Avoid the disaster and just use pex piping

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Copper "L" tube with two (M)NPT adapters.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

if 10 different plumbers respond you will get 10 different solutions.
heck, you could even bring that piece of galvy to a plumbing store and have it duplicated. it would last 40-50 years.
personally i agree with bernbeau.

Author: hj (AZ)

I did that once. The people called the city inspector and I had to use a dielectric union, even though there was really not space for one.

hj,

IMO and from experience:

male gal into female brass/copper = nfg

male brass/copper into female gal = good for a lifetime (as the female fitting threads are MUCH 'thicker')

TO: steve, bsipps, bernabeu, packy & hj

HELLO:

THANKS from this "NOVICE" plumber for all of your thought provoking inputs. -Great learning tool for this DIY'er!

Edited 1 times.

Anyway, an 8' piece of galvanized pipe, (NOT "cast iron"winking smiley, from HD would be the easiest and cheapest way, (other than PVC which would be a HORRIBLE option).

Okay, sounds good. I can check once "galvanized" pipe is in but faucet itself may be okay and not need replaced, i.e. valve still functional.

Thank you!

Author: packy (MA)

the existing hose valve has a regular faucet washer with a brass screw holding the washer.
the packing around the stem can be easily replaced as well.
lots of youtube videos to guide you thru the ptocess.

i would use teflon tape with pipe dope smeared on top of it for the galvy threads

Author: bsipps (PA)

I am pleased to read that packy not too many of us use both tef tape and pipe dope

deleted

Edited 1 times.

More thank you's clap

TO: steve, bsipps, bernabeu, packy & hj

HELLO AGAIN:

More THANK YOU's for the inspiring and educational conversation that's taken place here. -Certainly an awesome means of learning for this amateur plumber.

Edited 1 times.

"Theoretically" only happens in a vacuum. Since I had to use one hand to tighten the pipe and fittings, I could only count to 5.

Edited 1 times.

A roll of "tape", NOT "Teflon" by the way, would last me for years.

deleted

Edited 2 times.

My guy like that was "Norbert,or Nebbs". He could hold back on a Milwaukee 3/4" drill with just the normal handles.

Edited 1 times.

deleted

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.