Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 should I change my kitchen sink plumbing?
Author: jumbo (Canada)

I'm remodeling my kitchen and over the weekend I replaced my dual sink with a single sink.
this is the first time I've ever done any plumbing so I'm a rookie when it comes to this. I had a garbage disposal in my left sink, but now the single drain is on the right side. I essentially copied what was originally there with how I hooked everything up. I had a few too many beers when I was doing this and didn't notice until just now that the straight section of pipe is actually sloped towards the p trap. Everything seems to be working fine. The sink may be draining slightly slower than it did before, but I could just be imagining that. I added a link with a picture of it. I'm wondering if I should fix this or if it's ok to leave it as is? That section of pipe is about 10" long, and the front would need to go up about 1/8" to make it level. I assume that it should be sloping down away from the p trap? If this is something I should fix, is there a specific amount that it should be slopped? I looked but haven't been able to find answers online.

Thanks for any help

[postimg.cc]

Re: should I change my kitchen sink plumbing?
Author: packy (MA)

go enjoy another couple of cold ones..
i've seen alot worse than yours.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Your trap I.e. J bend and cane should be level or slightly pitched toward the drain

But it doesn’t look like you have enough room on the disposal elbow to push the trap up anymore

Packy is correct it won’t really harm anything

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not sure of you can tell in the picture, but I put a union on the left side so that it would be easy to disassemble and clean out the pipes if necessary. I could cut down that section of pipe attached to the garbage disposal and be able to lift everything up without too much trouble. Would you guys spend the time fixing it if a hack such as myself installed this at your place or would you just leave it?

Thanks again

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I could cut down that section of pipe attached to the garbage disposal and be able to lift everything up without too much trouble.

PERFECT

Yep, drop the trap, cut the disposal 'ell piece' (not TOO short, you want full insertion), replace trap.

DONE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

If I'm going to spend the time fixing it, would there be anything wrong with rearranging things so it looks like photo I've attached?
If I'm going to redo things, id like to try to regain some cabinet space back if I can

[postimg.cc]

other than more difficult to service ..... nothing 'wrong'

BUT

if it were 'mine' i would kiss the job

(Keep It Simple Stupid)

nothing personal, just an old trade saying - simple is 'generally' better

grinning smiley

Author: sum (FL)

Does the dishwasher discharge tube have a high loop or an air gap?

It has a high loop

Thanks for all of you help clap

I just redid the plumbing, the sink is definitely draining faster/better now. I wouldn't have expected 1/8" to make that much of a difference.
Thanks for all of you help

Edited 1 times.

grinning smiley if you can get ANOTHER 1/8" you will need a warning sign to alert of the 'sucking danger' grinning smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.