Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tub drain offset help
Author: cberni1 (LA)

HI,

I removed a shower and shower pan to put a tub back. There used to be a tub there from the original owner and it was converted to a handicap shower. When I pulled the pan, the house drain line was moved to 8.5 in off the wall to accommodate the shower pan and the pit was filled with concrete around the new drain pipe. The new tub drain hole is 9.75 in to center from the wall. I can't use a standard waste drain because the distance between the the 90 elbow and the T is already too long even if I were to use the smallest length of PVC possible to join the T and elbow and I can't find much on the market for flexible hose that will allow me to make up the 1.25 in offset between the existing drain and the tub drain with the small space between the bottom of the tub and the floor. .

That said, should I just break up the concrete in the pit and move the house drain back closer to that wall so a standard tub waste drain will work or is there something out there I can buy/put together that will make this work without breaking concrete?

Re: Tub drain offset help
Author: packy (MA)

you can buy the tub shoe and overflow as a kit and use your own schedule 40 pvc parts to make a custom drain.

I saw that option as well but I suspect the flange for the 90 elbow and the flange for a T would equally be longer than 1.25 in. before adding PVC to make connection. I am going to buy something like that this week and see what the actual measurements are but I'm guessing it may not work.

the tub shoe opening does not have to face straight back. it can be rotated to the side aiming it just enough off center to make it work. the overflow part can be rotated like the hands on a clock as well. then use a street 22 (make x female) fitting.

That makes sense but if I go that route, I assume I'll need a 90 out of the house drain up and off to the side where the T would be created from the overflow and tub drain 22's? I hope that makes sense and i'm on the same thought process as you here.

not a big fan of this but will it help?
[www.amazon.com]

Re: Tub drain offset help clap

So, from the time I posted until now, I got curious and frustrated and took a 3lb hammer and chisel to the mortar because i really want this done correctly. 1 hour later and i have full access to the drain so I won't need any hack jobs. Just going to do this the right way now. Thank you.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.