Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Line Replace...Flare vs Comp ???
Author: lgo838 (IL)

Second post about my toilet that flooded the house due to a cracked plastic nut.
I am replacing six toilets and was planning on going with the metal nut that attaches to the toilet, (thanks Packy/(MA)).
Eastman/EZ-Flo makes what I want, but they have two types in the 12".
The 48088 and the 48097. The 48088 has comp (compression) fitting and the 48097 has flare. When I called Eastman to find out the difference, I did not feel very assured that the tech guy I spoke with knew what he was talking about. He said the difference was that the comp is for one-time use and the flare can be removed if needed.
Does this make sense? From his explanation, I'd obviously go with the flared fitting. When I Googled it I think they implied that comp was for gas???
Please advise comp or flare for a toilet. Keep in mind that it may need to be removed and replaced back on if I screw something up.
Lastly, are Eastman toilet lines a good product?
Thanks,
Larry

BTW, here is a photo of the cracked nut. We moved in a year ago and never touched the toilet inflo line. Strange that this would break out of nowhere.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Toilet Line Replace...Flare vs Comp ???
Author: packy (MA)

you want 3/8 compression x 7/8 ball cock..
[www.homedepot.com]

a dab of grease on the male threads will make tightening easier and leakproof

Author: NP16 (OR)

Possible it was over tightened during the install.

The supply line to the fill valve shank - by hand.
The supply to the stop valve - wrench.

I like the idea of a bit of plumber's grease to fight friction - so you can tighten to be leak free but not too tight to break the plastic fitting.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Mr tee (MT)

You talked before of using a metal nut for the fill valve, if you do be careful not to cross thread it.

Author: steve (CA)

Has anyone seen a flare flex connector before? They're new to me.

Author: packy (MA)

i have senn a 3/8 copper kitchen sink supply that someone extended with a 3/8 flare union to reach the shut off. the shut off was 3/8 compression. this is as close as i have seen flare used under a fixture

Author: Don411 (IN)

That plastic fitting was overtightened, they last a long time if you install them by hand. I'm not aware of any way to connect a flare fitting to a fixture shutoff, so even though a better connection compression is likely your only choice.

Author: steve (CA)

Author: Don411 (IN)

No kidding? Thanks Steve, I've never seen a shutoff with a flare fitting.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you want a METAL supply line AND a metal coupling nut OR a heavy duty OEM nut as pictured which is HAND TIGHTENED only

[th.bing.com]

the washer is used on a plastic shank

if a metal shank (eg. fluidmaster pro 45-b) then no washer is needed IF a metal nut is used

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

And you may never see one actually installed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.