Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Under sink supply hose and valve hot to touch
Author: dg-dyi (CA)

I live in a condo where the hot water is supplied by a boiler system. Typically it takes a minute or two for the hot water in my unit to get hot but I have one bathroom sink that provides immediate hot (really hot) water, and where the supply hose and valve are hot to the touch even when the water is off. None of my other faucets do that and this one is in the middle of my unit (not any closer to the boiler than any other faucet).

The 2nd bathroom sink in the same vanity also has an issue of a smell when the hot water is turned on. It actually seems to be more of a smell from the drainpipe rather than the water or faucet but I've cleaned the drain several times and it gets better but then comes back. Now I'm wondering if it's related or a separate issue.

I'm afraid both of these things are pointing to having to open up the wall and see if there's a leak happening. We had a major flooding incident from an attached unit 2 years ago which required new flooring and drywall in 4 rooms in our unit (the plumbing is from the early 80's and there are leaking issues throughout our complex). I am dreading another round of having my house torn up. Do I need to just bite the bullet and open up the wall to see if there's something leaking? Is there any way to identify what's going on without cutting holes in the wall and/or taking out the vanity? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Re: Under sink supply hose and valve hot to touch
Author: bernabeu (SC)

google 'borescope'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

Typically in a multi resident building a hot water recirculating line is installed it’s possible the recirc line is tied to that bathrooms lavatory sink hot line… so instant hot water

As for the stench it could be bacterial growth in the trap or pop up piping try dumping bleach down the drain to kill the bacteria

Author: steve (CA)

Does the sink have an overflow passage? If yes, that also needs to get cleaned.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.