Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Eljer Toilet Handle Stud Stuck in Mounting Hole
Author: Dwarv (OH)

Hello, we have a 1950s Eljer toilet that needed a handle replacement. It was corroded, so we used a hacksaw to remove the nuts, but now the handle post is stuck in the mounting hole and we can't get it out. We've tried prying, gripping with pliers to try to turn, gently tapping from inside the tank. It is like it is glued in the hole! Please help!!

Re: Eljer Toilet Handle Stud Stuck in Mounting Hole
Author: Lorensr (CA)

try wd-40

Author: bernabeu (SC)

WD - 40 several times over several days if necessary

do NOT, repeat NOT, turn or twist the 'stem' as it is in a SQUARE hole

you may need a short piece of wooden dowel to use as a 'punch' from inside the tank

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

i think i would try a small sharp drill. keep the metal cool with water and make a bunch of holes .

Author: NP16 (OR)

Your toilet is 70 something years old?

I would be trying to sell you a new Toto Drake II.
But I think everyone should have a nice toilet.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

WD40 is not a very good penetrant, there are better ones available. I use Liquid Wrench.

Try heating up the lever shank with a heat gun and then apply penetrant. Repeat a number of times. The heat really helps.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the stub is corroded in the hole, there is already a LOT of pressure and the tank wall. DO NOT do anything that expands the metal or it may finally crack the top of the tank. Treat it VERY gently.

Author: Lorensr (CA)

White vinegar poured on a cloth wrapped around the handle where it oenetrates the tank hole. Allow it to soak over night. you will have to treat it numerous times as it will dry out.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Packy wrote:

> think i would try a small sharp drill. keep the metal cool with water and make a bunch of holes .

This will work, and it won't take overnight. Once you drill a few TINY holes the material will start to collapse and you can tap it out.

hj wrote:

>If the stub is corroded in the hole, there is already a LOT of pressure and the tank wall. DO NOT do anything that expands the metal or it may finally crack the top of the tank. Treat it VERY gently.

Drill TINY holes. If you try to drill holes that are too large, you will increase the pressure hj mentioned and crack the tank.

NP16 wrote:

>Your toilet is 70 something years old?
>I would be trying to sell you a new Toto Drake II.

This is what I would do as well. Based on the advice here, I bought a Toto toilet 5 years ago. Best toilet ever.

Author: vic (CA)

I've had the same experiences as NP and Dave.

I love both of my trouble free great flushing 13 year old as well as my 7 year old Toto "comfort height" Drake toilets (BTW: both made in Vietnam).

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.