Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Proper method to connect ABS pipe to ABS pipe
Author: diyer21g (CA)

Is a 3" ABS coupling the only way to connect two 3" ABS pipes together? I'm replacing a section of CI with ABS, and on one end where the new ABS pipe will connect to an existing ABS pipe, by way of the coupling, I won't be able to give one of the pipes a 1/4" turn when welding (gluing) the pipe to the connector. Is a Femco okay to use? I will be calling for an inspection, so I'm sure the inspector will have something to say if the proper connection isn't used.

Thank you.

Re: Proper method to connect ABS pipe to ABS pipe
Author: bsipps (PA)

A Fernco can be used with a heavy duty shielded band or you can glue both joints together and still get your 1/4 turn

I would opt out if the fernco option when possible

Author: diyer21g (CA)

Thank you for your response.

I didn't mention that this connection is below ground, does it make a difference?

Call the inspector and ask him

In my area your only allowed 1 fernco with a stainless steel shielded jacket connection underground usually between 2 different piping materials

Author: packy (MA)

a repair coupling has no stop in the center.
you can use one of those and get plenty of rotation to disrtibute the glue.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.... nor has it any taper

result: a glued joint

as opposed to: a solvent welded joint

if one is going to cheat/fudge IMO use a standard tapered coupling with copious amount of solvent weld

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Only problem with a repair coupling is you damn near have to dump the entire glue can in the joint for it not to leak

Author: bernabeu (SC)

exactly

for the DIYers:

one does NOT glue plastic pipe, one solvent welds it - said solvent weld is made because of the pressure created by the taper inside the TAPERED fitting - the very bottom of the fitting is where the welding occurs

a properly made solvent weld joint is as strong as the pipe itself

'repair couplings' have NO taper therefor resulting in inferior glued joints with little 'structural strengh'

ergo: they are NOT code compliant - they would better be called 'emergency PATCH couplings'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Would heavy duty cement work better for a pvc repair coupling?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.