Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adding faucet to front of garage
Author: BabyTweety (CO)

I live in Eastern Colorado. I have a three car, 720 sq ft garage. I would have to run the Pex line from the basement up to the inside of the garage and along the garage wall through the studs. There’s a bit of disagreement between a plumbing contractor and a renovation contractor on the code as to whether or not you can run 1/2” pex through the studs and put the faucet on the front of the house. Plumbing contractor says you can. Renovation contractor says you can’t because it is a load bearing wall. The wall in question is the left side garage wall (if you’re looking at the house from the street). The wall is insulated and partially drywalled from the ceiling down 2’. The remaining portions of the garage walls will have slatboard panels installed.

Could I get someone familiar with the code to weigh in on this please?

Thanks!

Re: Adding faucet to front of garage
Author: packy (MA)

1/2 inch pex will require 3/4 inch holes thru the studs.
well within any code that i know of.

think about it.

electricians run wires in load bearing walls all the time.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Any hole through a load bearing stud shall be no larger than 40% of the stud width, packy and your plumbing contractor are correct

Author: NP16 (OR)

I notice a huge difference when running 3/4" piping to a hose bib versus 1/2".
Depending on what your need is for this outdoor faucet you may want to consider it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

If you do not wish to drill holes through the studs, why not run a length of 1/2" copper along the front of the studs across? You can cut the slat boards to end above it and starts below it and the pipe will stay completely recessed from your finished wall surface.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? how are you going to freeze proof the piping ?

! make SURE there is NO insulation between the pipe and the 'warm side' of the wall !

! stuff the insulation 'batt' BEHIND the pipe on the cold side !

do NOT cut the insulation so it encapsulates the pipe - you WANT the pipe 'exposed' to the hot side

make sure you get a frost proof hydrant and have it PROPERLY installed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

3.5 inches x 40% = 1.40

so a 3/4 inch hole is approx 1/2 of the allowable size.

well within the code you sited.

of course if the framing is 2x6 (5 1/2 inches) the a 3/4 inch hole has even less impact.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

are we assuming the framing is actually on 16" centers as per the code ?

'many' 2x4 framed garages are actually 'cheated' on 24" centers as if they WERE 2x6 construction

personal experience

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Neither insulation or a frost free valve is absolutely necessary if the run is pitched so that the water can be drained through a bleeder in the basement. This is assuming there will be a shutoff in the basement for this line, which there should be anyway.

Not sure but does pex not tolerate repeated freezing?

I just googled pex freezing and opinion was, while pex tolerates freezing, there is a chance it might split.

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a 20 foot run of pex outside a house to a hose bibb. This run had plenty of sag between supports, so there is no easy way to drain the pex of water. Looked like it had been there for years and had withstood repeated freeze/thaws of Canadian winters. This was blue pex with crimped copper sleeves.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.