Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Gas LInes
Author: Zhetoman (OK)

In the photo you can see one 1 1/2" line that goes immediately underground then goes to the south AC. The other is reduced to 3/4" and then 1/2" and goes to the north AC. Both ACs are combination AC/Furnace. Just off screen from the valve in the 1/2" line is a tee with a capped 3" nipple.

The objective is to replace an undersized 12 year old electric water heater with a new gas water hearer and to replace a 30" electric induction cooktop with a new gas cooktop.

The brick wall directly ahead is where the water heater is located. To the right of the gas meter approximately 6 feet is the wall of the kitchen.

Question: Will the 1/2" line allow sufficient additional flow for the new water heater? The cooktop's usage should be negligible and not impact the furnace operation.

Edited 3 times.

Re: New Gas LInes
Author: bsipps (PA)

I would use 3/4 if your connecting both appliances to the single gas line

Author: NP16 (OR)

quote: The cooktop's usage should be negligible and not impact the furnace operation. Well maybe? or not?

Your new gas cook top will have a certain BTU demand as will your new WH.

First step is to draw out a simple diagram with all gas burning appliances, their BTU demand and total developed length. Then you consult a sizing chart to see what size pipes are needed.

Since reworking gas piping really should be done by a licensed gas contractor, permitted and inspected it would be their job to determine sizing and a plan.

Edited 1 times.

We live in a small town (5,600 pop.) I have called all 5 local plumbers multiple times and left messages. None ever called back!!! On the sixth attempt I reached two of the plumbers. They promised to call back and schedule time for an estimate. That was 4 or 5 days ago. Repeated calls just go to voice mail.
ABSOLUTELY hate the induction cooktop. My wife is cooking with one small sauce pan and a cast iron skillet. Of all our cookware (some is high end) that is all that will work.
If no one calls back, I'm not left with much choice.

Author: hj (AZ)

don't blame the induction cooktop for your lack of buying the proper cookware. My wife has been using induction for over 35 years and has NEVER had a problem with the cookware.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the OP's cookware came BEFORE the induction cook-top

induction 'tops' need MAGNETIC stainless

while I and the wife do not have an induction stove we DO have the 'older' All Clad NON magnetic stainless cookware which will NOT work on an induction 'top'

that is why we did NOT replace our range with an induction type, but stayed with 'standard' ceramic

we do have ONE newer All Clad all stainless pan which IS magnetic and WOULD work with induction

hj, 'google' all clad and you will see the issue

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I never had an Issue. When my wife needed cookware, she took a magnet with her to test then. ALWAYS got the sets she wanted.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct

BUT

'some' people may ALREADY have cookware sets valued ABOVE 5k total which are NOT magnetic

All Clad 'anodised' is 5 layer VERY EXPENSIVE commercial grade made with NON magnetic stainless steel

inside to outside: s/s - copper - s/s - aluminum - s/s anodised black so the exterior stains from gas cooktops don't show

the sheets from which the cookware is made are 'joined' by EXPLOSION COMPRESSIVE WELDING

google it

i picked up a COMPLETE $5k set at a thrift store many decades ago for $50 and after spending HOURS buffing and polishing the commercial 'debris' away now have a good as new set

very very very heavy stuff - but cooks like a dream, just NOT induction

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Exactly. My wife has a very expensive set of double wall stainless steel pans. They are magnetic. However, they have a very, very slight ridge toward the middle and they do not work. The Bosch manual says they must be perfectly flat. She also has three restaurant quality fry pans. They also do not work. For 3 weeks she has been cooking in one small sauce pan and an old cast iron skillet. Getting old!!!

Couple that with the fact we do a lot of canning, the induction cooktop is going out the door as soon as possible. Perhaps we can find someone to give it to, or maybe the local thrift shop.

Send it to New York. Their new regulations are going to suggest/recommend induction as the way to go.

Author of that bill likely has major stock holdings in one or more induction-type cookware companies.

Never underestimate the ability of a politician to screw something up!

More likely in the electric company, because they have "outlawed" natural gas in new buildings.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.