Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 removing old galvanized pipes
Author: sum (FL)

This is a picture of two old galvanized water supply pipes found inside my garage wall cavity. Abandoned for a long time, I think they were original 1941 pipes when the house was built.

The pipes, one 3/4" and one 1/2", come in from the crawlspace through two holes through the 2X10 rim joists, they then turned up another 4' or so inside the wall cavity, but I cut the risers back to the elbow.

I am planning to use this stud bay and these pipes are in the way so I like to get rid of them (I mean without moving 40' through the crawlspace to cut them from the other side). There is an elbow only a few inches on the other side of the 2X to turn the pipes down. So my first try is to use a pipe wrench to rotate both pipes out of the elbow. No good. I squirted some WD40 and let it soaked, no difference.

My next attempt will be to cut them. I tried a sawzall but the angle is awkward with the blade kind of bent but I have the front of the wall blocked by a 1X8 board it's difficult.

I doubt an OMT will be able to cut through this just oscillating through thick metal.

Will a dremel work or will it burn up after a while?

Re: removing old galvanized pipes
Author: bernabeu (SC)

meet your new best friend

'google' port-a-band saw [www.bing.com]

eg. [www.lowes.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

cut the risers you removed so they just fit vertically in the space.
screw them into the elbows and use them to unscrew the pieces.
hopefully you get lucky and the pieces unscrew

Author: bsipps (PA)

I think your oscillating tool may work with a carbide blade or maybe a cheater on the pipe wrench I’m surprised the piping did not break while using the pipe wrench

Author: Don411 (IN)

My choices in this order are 1) loooong pipe on the pipe wrench handle, sometimes you need 3 or 4 FEET of leverage, my bet is that those pipes will unthread. Challenge is that you may not have room to swing the long handle. Option 2 would be angle grinder with cut off wheel. Will make sparks but should be easy to contain there. I love my portable band saw but not sure if have room to get it in there for a flush cut.

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

I've made that cut in galvanized with both an angle grinder and an oscillating tool. You just need the right blade, and you will probably need to replace it after. The angle grinder is faster if it fits in there.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.