Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need 30- and 60-deg copper elbows
Author: Larry Fine (VA)

I'm looking for 3/4" copper sweat elbows in 30- and 60-degree angles, to follow a roof-line for a water heater in an attic. I don't want to use pairs of 90s.

I could use a standard 45 and a street 45 which would create a funny offset, but I would really prefer single fittings. I also don't want to use soft tubing.

Any advice is welcome.

Re: Need 30- and 60-deg copper elbows
Author: bernabeu (SC)

one CAN bend Cu tube - albeit it is a 'lost art' involving packed sand and external springs

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: NP16 (OR)

I would install PEX piping. Plenty of bend in this type of pipe to make custom angles.
I would also insulate this pipe with thick wall insulation to protect against freezing.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.... insulation will not protect or prevent but merely delay said freezing ....

yes, semantics is, in fact, everything

grammar is a separate issue

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Mr tee (MT)

I'd use two 90s.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Why not use soft copper?

I heard people say squirrels and rats will chew through the pex if exposed in a crawl space or attic

Bad news in an attic

Edited 2 times.

Author: sum (FL)

I have never seen 30 or 60 degree supply elbows, are they being made by anyone? I have seen 22-1/2 degree copper or brass elbows for DWV but not for pressure piping. If multiple 90 or 45 rolled to make your angle is not desired I would go with bending a short piece of soft tubing then soldering on two straight couplings at the ends to connect to the hard copper, but that is still three fittings back to back.

Author: Larry Fine (VA)

So, the bottom line is that nobody makes them.

I'll use a pair of 45s, one street and one standard.

Thank you all.

Author: NP16 (OR)

99.99 % of homes here do not have squirrels or rats.
Might as well be equally concerned with ghosts and UFO's and thirsty Sasquatches !

A guy on Youtube did a freeze test using all type of pipes. *I think the link was uploaded to this site over a year ago?
Guess which one is most likely to freeze and burst?
Well that would be copper tubing.

Also each solder joint is a chance to set your house on fire.

**Seriously though: every possible small opening on the exterior of your home should be sealed or covered in wire mesh. Rodents can be very destructive and can very easily chew right through the insulation and then into the PEX. Just two weeks ago I had a service call at an apartment building where the rats chewed through the braided steel dishwasher supply line and were nesting under the dishwasher. They had entered in the adjacent unit and made their way through the common wall to get to the water. This can be their desperate attempt to find water after they are poisoned.

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.